12/23/13

Holiday Traditions


With Christmas fast approaching I am reminded of such great memories of holiday traditions.  The thing I love most about Christmas, and all holidays, is family time.  I really enjoy spending time with my family.

Both my parents grew up in the area.

My Dad’s immediate family, and most of the extended family, still lives in the area.  Every year on Christmas Eve we would load up and drive to Murphy to my grandparent’s house.  My Dad’s two sisters, and their husbands, would be there and we would have dinner and open gifts.  It was cool to sit at the kids table and my siblings and I had a lot of fun!!!  The last gift we opened was Christmas pajamas from Mom and Dad.  We would change into our pjs and wear them on the drive home.  Nothing is better than being a kid at Christmas and opening presents.


My Mom’s mother, who passed away a few years ago, also lived in the area.  She would spend Christmas morning with us.  


I loved running into grandma’s room to wake her up on Christmas morning.  Every year under the tree was $100 in crisp $1 bills from Grandma A.  It was the highlight of Christmas morning.  We would have breakfast and then load up to head to our family Christmas party with my Dad’s extended family.


Our family Christmas party originally started because of my Great Grandma Ihli.  My grandfather is one of 8 children so there are lots of relatives to see.  Each year we get together on Christmas Day.  When I was younger my parents hosted the party since we had a pretty large house.  Eventually it was moved to a hall in Kuna.  When I was a teenager my siblings and I used to go to the movies after Christmas dinner.  It was a really fun tradition.  A few years ago I took over the party planning from my Great Aunts.  We now have our party at a hall in Murphy.  We usually have 50 in attendance.

As time has evolved traditions have changed.  The four of us kids started to get too old for presents and once the next generation arrived, my two nieces, we really didn’t get presents (darn kids)!!  We still get together with my Dad’s immediate family on Christmas Eve.  We used to draw a name and get one person a gift and now we do a $30 generic gift exchange.  I have to say it does make it easier to buy gifts, yet I do miss opening all the presents (I am still a kid at heart).

I look forward to this time with my family.  I love seeing the little girls open their gifts from everybody.  I love that we can steal gifts in our generic exchange.  I still enjoy sitting at the kids table, even at the age of 34.  Christmas is family time and I have the greatest family in the world!

1 comment:

Deb R. said...

You are blessed! Thank you for sharing your family with us.