2/1/15

Newsies


In 1992, Disney released a movie called Newsies. 



It is a musical based on the New York City newsboy strike of 1899.  I was 11 or 12 years old when the movie came out.  I have seen it dozens of times and maybe even millions of times!  My best friend Katie and I would write notes to each other that involved the musical lyrics but we would leave blank lines so the other would fill in the word.  I was Jack Kelly and Katie was Spot Conlin.  Oh, to be young again.

Recently, Newsies has been turned into a Broadway musical and I am dying to see it.  Kenyon and I are planning a New England cruise in 2016 that will sail from New York City.  I’ve had the Newsies Broadway musical on my radar for that trip.  When I was doing some trip planning I saw that Newsies was actually on tour and the closest stop to Idaho is Las Vegas.  I called up my sisters and asked if they would want to drive to Las Vegas in March to see the Newsies Broadway musical.  I got instant replies, “heck yeah” and so trip planning began.

The tickets went on sale two weeks ago and I purchased us each a box seat ticket at The Smith Center in Las Vegas.  We are planning to drive down and stay a couple of days.  Kenyon is planning to fly down early to take a class at this place south of Vegas in which he has a membership.  Then he will return to Vegas and meet up with us.  We will all drive home from there.

I am so ecstatic!  I can’t wait for March to get here.  In the meantime I’ve been listening to the Newsies Broadway musical album when I am in my car. 



It has been on constant repeat for days and I’ve been singing Newsies songs in my head for days too.  They lyrics are slightly different and from what I have pieced together I think the play is slightly different than the movie.  None the less, my childhood dream is going to be fulfilled.  I can’t wait.

No comments: