11/2/17

The Time I Drove A Car Off The Lot That I Didn't Pay For

On Wednesday after Kenyon and I went to breakfast, I noticed across the street at the car dealership was an orange SUV sitting up on a platform. I am in love with the color orange for a vehicle and this one was the perfect shade of burnt orange just like my Chevy HHR that was involved in a crash almost three years ago. I found out it was a Nissan Rogue Sport and while I didn't have time to test drive it, I did some online research and kept it in the back of my mind that I might swing by and test drive soon.

I am needing to get my snow tires changed out on Avacardo and knew that if I paid for this service, that I would need to stop looking at new cars. After all, it would be silly to buy a new car right after spending the money to put my snow tires on. And, I am not really in the market for a new car, I just miss the orange color (yes, I am aware I can paint my current car as many have suggested that).

I was killing time before my tire appointment and drove by the big dealerships in Nampa. I thought “what the heck, I'll see if that Nissan Rogue Sport is also at this place.” Yep. Not only was it there, but it was like the salesman were lying in wait to ambush me. I was like an animal caught in a trap.

Salesman: “Do you want to test drive it?”
Me: “YES!”

After our test drive/chat, I told the salesman that I'd get Kenyon out there to look but it would be a while due to our work schedules.

Experienced salesman: “How about if you take the car home for your husband to look at?”
Me:“WHAT?!? I can't do that.”
Experienced salesman: “Let me talk to my guy and see what he says”
(side note, why does a car salesman always have car guy??)

So, this how I ended up with a brand-spanking-new car currently sitting in my garage that I've not even paid for.  Hook, line, and sinker! 



Car Guy says I can take the car home and Experienced Salesman says I can keep it until I get off work at 4pm tomorrow. I felt like I was in some sort of parallel universe. The only time I've known of a car being taken home from a dealership without paying for it was when it got reported stolen not too long after. It was the weirdest feeling and yet so nice to not feel the pressure of having Experienced Salesman hanging around while we discuss the car.

I'm not sure I'm going to buy this car, but I do like it. I love the features but not the price tag. I'm also toying with leasing even though I have no experience. There is so much that goes through making such a large purchase and I want to make sure I'm not being implusive. There is also other factors such as Avacardo still being fairly new and all the jazz. I am thankful for this opportunity to test drive a car but I do feel the pressure of making a purchase and/or that one is expected now that I've taken it home overnight.


I'll see what happens when I return to the dealership tomorrow afternoon.

No comments: