5/13/22

NCL Sun

We have returned from a fabulous five-day cruise aboard NCL Sun.

 


This was the return-to-service for NCL Sun post-pandemic and her first sailing in over two years.  There were a few kinks with the ship, mostly the sewer system and overflowing toilets from time to time.  With only 640 total passengers on board (with the capacity of about 3,000) it was as if each person had four crew members all to themselves.  The ship was staffed with the nicest crew most of which had not worked in two years, were new to NCL, or were new to working on a cruise ship all together.  It was the weirdest and the coolest experience rolled into one.  I don’t think I’ve been able to interact with staff as much on any previous NCL cruise.

 


With just two ports of call, we had two days at sea.  I forgot what it was like on a smaller ship, and it felt like there was just not much to do during the at sea days.  I was able to convince Kenyon to spend some time in the observation lounge and I wished I had a remembered to pack a deck of cards (I ended up getting some when we stopped in Ketchikan). 

 




This was the first time having the drink package and I made it my mission to try as many drinks as I could.  I also wanted to hit up all the different bars.  I ended up hanging out at the Windjammer, which had the best cocktail menu on the entire ship.  I especially loved the Perfect Margarita and the Sidecar too.  Oh man, so many wonderful drinks.  I am looking forward to our NCL Breakaway cruise in January 2023 where we have the drink package again and I’m sailing with friends.

 





The entertainment on NCL Sun was top notch.  I didn’t love the two major production shows, but I really enjoyed the guitar player, Devin, the pianist, Shelli, and the main band, LMH.  Oh boy was the main band amazing.  The final night of the cruise they had a band mash-up between Devin, LMH Band, and Brenda, whom I didn’t get an opportunity to catch her shows.  They were absolutely fantastic.

 

I was able to convince Kenyon to join me for the sail away party, which took place indoors as it was raining in Seattle.  He also joined me for some live music, sat with me at the comedy show, and came to the glow party.  He isn’t much of a goer, so it was nice when he ventured out.

 


I’ll be back with more on our two ports of call: Ketchikan and Victoria.


 

No comments: