10/8/22

Adding An Apple Air Tag As Part Of Your Travel Packing System

 With all the chaos involved with airlines over the summer months, I was a) relieved we were not traveling anytime soon and b) thinking I should prepare myself for future travel while I have the time.


Enter the Apple Air Tag.





Since I watch a ton of You Tube travel videos, the Apple Air Tag frequently popped up as a suggestion for how to track your bags while on vacation.  Or at the very least, know if your bag is not with you at the airport when you arrive.  We typically are carry-on only and while I do love the lighter travel lifestyle, I occasionally enjoy checking backs for a few reasons. 


  • It is nice to not have to trek your bags with you and traveling through multiple airports/flight can feel more carefree.
  • You can pack a larger variety of clothes/shoes.


That second one sort of reverses the whole reason for carry-on travel…pack less, use less, re-wear clothes, etc.  But you know when you are on a cruise it is nice to have some different (i.e fancier) evening wear options.


So, back to the Apple Air Tag.  I went into our local Apple Store and purchased a four pack in preparation for your upcoming Vlogger Group Cruise in January 2023.  My “test” for using the air tag was my trip to Spokane a few weeks ago.  I decided I would check my bag on the flight home, which routed through Seattle and test out how the air tag held up. 


My results: So far, I am impressed.


I don’t 100% know how they work but from what I’ve read and what my husband has told me, they need a GPS/Wi-Fi/Data signal to transmit their location.  So, as long as you have data and the air tag has some sort of data, you should be able to see the tracking.  If for some reason, your bag is lost, you go into the app and turn on “lost mode.”  When somebody’s phone/device comes into signal with your air tag, it will give them my basic contact info, similar to an actually luggage tag.  Pretty neat right?





I put the air tag into my suitcase and followed the tracking app.  


Here is my suitcase at the Spokane Airport.





And at the Seattle Airport.



And finally in Boise before it got to me at baggage claim.





Wow…technology!  I am thinking I’ll check a bag when we cruise in January, because of all the reasons above!  And I did buy the air tags for this reason.  I just get super worried about my clothes being lost while on vacation.  Which, has actually never happened to me.


Have you experienced a travel nightmare with lost luggage?


Here are some other Items That Make Traveling Easier.



No comments: