3/31/23

Weekly WI: I Re-Joined The YMCA

My Weekly Weigh-In was a small loss.  On one hand, it was a little bit of a bummer since I knocked it out of the park with the goal I set to get back to to tracking.  Even though I had two planned high point days and one unplanned high point day, I am really happy with how my week ended.  So, for that reason, I am not as bummed with the small loss.  Also, I didn’t gain!  Which really is huge since I needed to stop the hemorrhaging after two weeks of gains.  


When I think back on my WW journey and what has made it so successful, the biggest reason is the connection to a WW workshop and the second is a connection to activity.  I had a gym membership for years at the YMCA near our old house and loved the group fitness classes.  I really like the added layer of accountability when you have others watching.  Exercise is just easier when you have others sweating along with you! 


In 2013 my back pain started and I had to step back from high intensity aerobics thus my expensive YMCA membership wasn’t worth the cost.  A few years later I returned to the gym at Crunch Fitness until the COVID shutdown.  At that point, why was I paying the money and after the start up, exercising in a mask sounded miserable.  I started to lean on the free exercise options available to me such as getting out for a walk, using the treadmill at home, or FitOn and Obe video workouts.  Like everything in life, when you commit to it…it works!  Go figure.


Since January and the return from our cruise, my commitment to my WW program and activity have not been great.  I am just flopping around like a fish out of water.  I know I need to get back to a workshop, in person preferred which would be Tuesday night.  I also need to get back to the gym.  My parents and my friend Wanda have YMCA memberships and we have a new facility that opened on my side of town.  On Tuesday, I re-joined the YMCA.




On Wednesday I attended a boot camp class.  Holy Cow! It was intimidating when the teacher was explaining all the stations.  The good news I survived!  And it was exactly what I needed…accountability.  If I was going a video at home I would have quit the workout.  It was tough but the accountability of others around kept me going.


On Thursday, I attended a TRX class.  I’ve always wanted to go to one of these classes and even though I was sore, I am glad I went.  The members of the class were so nice and helpful as I learned all the moves and I am super impressed with the active seniors in the group doing all those moves.  100% impressed.  I will do this again for sure.


I am really sore today but the good news is the soreness is all over vs. just one part of my body, which has also been the norm of working out at home.  I feel like I get a better overall body workout vs just a centralized few muscles.  This will be good for me and I am glad to be back.

No comments: