7/6/21

Weekly WI: I Am No Longer 253 Pounds

I’ve been intending to sit down for the last week and get you all caught up on my WW journey as well as life in general.  I just can’t even believe how fast the days go by.  I haven’t even started off my Hello July blog post.  Yet, here we are already almost a week into July.

 

My weigh-in last week included celebrating the six year anniversary of when I reached my highest regain weight of 253 pounds, a re-gain of 78 pounds from reaching my goal weight.  I am proud to share that as of last week, I have officially lost 62 of those pounds.

 


It was six years ago that I had to take a hard look at my life, my health, and really assess that I was ready to make the changed necessary to start the scale on the downhill journey.  I was reading back over some of my blog posts during that time.  In The Elephant In TheRoom, I wrote:

“Since I regained weight, I often feel it is an elephant-in-the-room type situation when I am in social gatherings with people I’ve not seen in a while.  I had two graduation parties to attend last Saturday and I have one to attend later today.  I love seeing my extended family.  They too were very supportive and complimentary of my weight loss.  It now feels like I’m coming to the party with this large invisible animal on my back and something that we just don't talk about.”

 


I was able to refocus, re-connect with my WW program, and find a version of that person that was so successful back in 2009.  In The Comeback Kid, I wrote:

“Finally…a few weeks ago something shifted and I wanted to make some changes that would result in positives and not just self-loathing.  At my WW meeting several people shared how they wanted to quit but knew that it wasn’t the answer.  I had actually quit.  I had given up on tracking, healthy eating, and activity.  So even though I might have been checking in with my meetings once a month, I wasn’t actually working the WW program.  And I was gaining weight which only made the self-loathing worse.”

 


Boy have I made a comeback.  From July 2016 until now, the scale has followed a downward trend.  Although I am still human and there were times along this last six years that I have had an uptick and had to re-gain control again.  A really big positive is that I’ve been able to re-gain control immediately and didn’t lit it turn into another spiral.  I’ve been working hard to stay focused on those times throughout each year when I tend to struggle with weight gain.  As long as I stay mindful of this, I am more likely to make the correction sooner thus staying on top of it. 

 

This last week I really struggled with staying on track.  It was a constant mental swing between “you shouldn’t be so reckless” and “you’ll get back on track after Girls Weekend.”  The hard part with this type of thinking is how quickly the spiral happens and the fast weight gain.  I wasn’t sure if I’d step on the scale this week or if I’d skip in lieu of knowing that after Girls Weekend, I’ll get back on track 100%.  I also don’t want this week to overshadow the positive vibe of last week and how hard I have worked at staying committed these last six years. 

 

The real hard truth is I should not let the number on the scale or a week where I have been off track to cast a shadow on all the successes I’ve achieved.  Looking back at my weight record for the first week of July 2020, I was still in the 200s.  Regardless of what the scale says, if I actually step on it or not, I have a lot of successes to celebrate.  I plan to have a really great time on our Girls Weekend adventures and with my extra Dawny time.

No comments: