9/24/18

Germany To France To Germany To France


Our next few ports took us across the border of two different countries…that is how quickly you can get across Europe!  Okay, it might not be that quick each time but along The Rhine, you jump in/out of different countries pretty quickly.

Our ship made a brief stop in Mannheim, Germany where we got off the ship and made our way to Heidelberg, Germany.  This highlight of this stop was Heidelberg Castle and the amazing views surrounding it.  Unlike Marksburg Castle, you didn’t go into this one.  The history and beauty was amazing.
 
 
 
This cat was chillin' by the castle


We had a little free time in Heidelberg before boarding the bus and driving to the town of Speyer, Germany.  Kenyon and I popped into a recommended pub so I could get a pretzel and some beer.  The dark beer was amazing and was actually really sweet.  It was also 10% alcohol by volume!  Thank goodness I didn’t drink a large one.
 

Once we arrived in Speyer, we walked around town for a bit and then boarded the ship for dinner.  We woke the next morning in France.
Strasburg, France was gorgeous.  People…I’ve never really been a France person and other than seeing the Eiffel Tower, I haven’t thought about visiting.  But, this trip might have changed my mind.  The buildings surrounding the town were like being a storybook.  It was just simply out of this world.
 
 
 

From France, we went back to Germany…but only temporarily!  Our ship docked in Breisach, Germany and our included afternoon tour took us by bus into The Black Forest.  But, we had an upgraded morning excursion that took us by bus back into France to the town of Colmar.  Just like Strasburg, Colmar is adorable.  This town is known for the man who created the Statue of Liberty and her presence is known all over the town. 


Also, France has a special relationship with the stork bird.  This bird is encouraged to nest each year, where they mate for life and have an average of five babies a year.  They migrate to warmer climates in the winter but always return to the same next each year.  It is quite amazing to see the stork next perched high above the rooftops.  We were told they can get so heavy it can cause damage to some buildings.
 

We took a small train trough through Colmar and then had some time to explore on foot where I was able to get a photo of the smallest house in Colmar.  I can’t believe somebody lives in this house.
 

We boarded our bus again and drove back to the ship for lunch.  Our afternoon included excursion was an hour and a half bus ride through The Black Forest to the land of cuckoo clocks, glass blowing, and cake.
 
 

I had been waiting for this stop the entire cruise because I really wanted to buy a authentic German cuckoo clock.  The decision was tough, but I got it!  I will wait to share more about my clock once it arrives in the USA so I can get better photos.  It is perfect and I can’t wait.  I had it shipped home so I didn’t have to carry it back and I also saved on their added taxes that way.
 
We also took part in a demonstration of a Black Forest Cake being made, which the secret ingredients are Brandy and sour cherries.  It was delicious!
 
 

Our time was short as we had to load up on the bus and get back to the ship.  This was our last port stop.  We spent the evening saying goodbye to the new friends we made and packing up our luggage.  Cruising the definitely the way to travel.
I’ll fill you in on our last two cities including a visit to a new country…Switzerland!

No comments: