3/2/18

My Experience Using A Travel Agent


I’m a little late at getting this blogpost published.  Today, I’d like to talk about travel…and specifically, travel agents. **disclaimer: this is our first experience using at travel agent so my options may be somewhat pre-mature**


My job requires me to sit at a computer for 10 hours a day.  I do most of my trip planning during my downtime.  I am very thorough and research every ends and out of a destination.  When we got closer to booking our Europe vacation, I was quite intimidated.  Kenyon and I went to Global Travel back when the location was in the Boise Town Square Mall and were surprised to learn that using a travel agent was free.  Fast forward a few years later and we were again at Global Travel, downtown location, requesting to meet with a travel agent.

 


Our Europe trip is split into a few different parts.  The main part of the travel is a Viking River Cruise.  While you typically book that through Viking directly, our travel agent was able to help assist with that.  Viking also had a killer air promotion so we used them for our airfare.  The other part of our vacation would be pre and post cruise stopover cities.  We figure since we are spending the money to get over the big pond, we might as well get the most bang for our buck.



That was mostly what I really wanted help planning.  I know I could have spent many hours on the internet looking for ways to piece it all together, but having a travel agent do it all for us was wonderful.  I was really happy we had gone through route.  Since then, it has been a little bit of a headache.  It is really hard planning a vacation with somebody that doesn’t really know you.  But, the part that makes it the toughest is that our travel agent isn’t able to itemize the trip costs.



I am very particular with where our money goes when we travel.  We do like a bit of luxury, and can afford it, but there are also places where we are okay with skimping on to save a few bucks.  I don’t do well with large purchases and I really don’t do well when you can’t tell me why it is costing X, Y, and Z but just that it is the price.

 


Here some of the things I’ve learned since using a travel agent:

  • You will pay an elevated cost.  We figure on average, this trip is going to cost us about 10% more.  While it is free to use a travel agent, they do work on commission and with travel partners.  And, I do feel our travel agent has earned her commission after having to deal with me.  But, it is a bit frustrating to pay more when I could be saving money if I did it all myself.
  • Our travel agent books everything through her travel partner, Avalon.  Thus, is why we are being told we can’t get an itemized statement of charges.  The hardest part about not knowing how much you are spending is also the question of what if prices change?  Yeah, they don’t.  If I was to book this myself, I could at least keep tabs on if a hotel price dropped and then re-book for a better deal.  But with a travel agent, the prices are set.
  • When booking with a travel agent, you have somebody on your side if there is a snag along the way.  So far, we haven’t had to deal with any snags, but if we do, I’m glad to know we have somebody there to help us navigate through it.
  • Depending on your travel agent, most come with travel experience.  Our agent has been overseas and has been great to talk with.  She is also up front and honest when she thinks we can navigate on our own vs. need a transfer.  This has been helpful and allowed us to save a few bucks here and there.
  • Travel insurance is important, even if it means the trip costs more.  We rarely get travel insurance and have been lucky.  But, with the elevated cost of this vacation, our travel agent helped seal the deal.  If something was to happen, we would be glad we had it.
  • The trip will be paid for two months before we leave.  Since we booked through our agent and her travel partner, we know the total cost of almost all of the trip and payment is due in full before we leave.  This has allowed us to save up the money and not have to worry about returning from our travel with large credit card bills.  Don’t worry, we still have a few expenses here and there but overall, the trip is paid for before we leave.  That is such a good feeling.

 


Over all, the experience using a travel agent has been good, but I don’t think we will use another in the future.  Or, perhaps just a different agency/agent.  I love how she did the ground work for me and then I was less intimidated to research on my own.  I did put in quite a bit of time researching though, so I wish I had my own 10% coming to me.  But, without our agent, I’d not have been able to get it all put together so quickly and so completely.  It is crazy to think our Europe vacation is just six months away.  I can’t wait!



Regardless of how the trip gets planned, I am so glad I’ve got myself a fantastic travel partner…for the last 10 years!


No comments: