4/19/19

Our Annual Visit To New Mexico

Our time in NM is always so short but is nice spending time with family.  We stayed with my Aunt Barb, as we typically do, who lives about 30 minutes away from my in-laws.  We had hoped to spend more time with Barb on this trip.  She is busy with her many volunteering jobs, one of which allowed us to see Chicago The Musical.  But, let me rewind.

Our flight out of Boise was early.  We grabbed a breakfast bagel sandwich from Einstein Bagels at the airport before getting to our gate just as they announced boarding.  It was a busy morning at the Boise Airport, which was really unusual. 

Our flight made a stop over in Oakland, where we didn’t change planes.  We packed some PB&J sandwiches along with some other snacks so we wouldn’t be starved when we arrived in Albuquerque.  I have some drink tickets a coworker gave me so I cashed on in for a Summer Shandy on the second leg of the flight.  It felt a bit weird drinking a beer at 10am California time.  We had been up since 3:45am Boise time.  I guess it is always 5 o’clock somewhere eh?




We checked in at The Air BnB of Aunt Barb and grabbed some lunch at Papa Felipe’s.  I’m a weenie for hot chile and the green chile was fire that day.  I enjoyed my bowl of Pozole with a small bit of chile and a side of whole beans but we all know the highlight was the sopapilla.  I like mine as dessert with honey dripping from it. 




I told myself before I went that I would have just one, which was so temping to order another.  But, I held strong and was also super full.  We made another stop at Papa Felipe’s before we left so we could enjoy one more sopapilla treat.




I enjoyed the visit with my in-laws and loved seeing the little niece and great-niece, who are now three.  We will have a great nephew when we visit next, which is very exciting.  Barb was able to get us tickets to see Chicago The Musical, which we enjoyed.





We celebrated my father-in-law, Ken’s, 83rd birthday, which was the reason for our visit in the chilly and unpredictable New Mexico weather of April.  Ken believes that once you turn 50, you start going backward in age like you do with yard lines of a football field.  We couldn’t resist having Happy 17th Birthday written on the cake since he tells everybody he is 17 this year.  German Chocolate is Ken’s favorite cake, which is great because it is also my favorite flavor.




We were able to spend some time with Barb the evening before we left and enjoyed a delicious meal of Green Chile Stew, Frontier tortillas, and this Hatch Green Chile Wine I spotted at Smith’s.  It was really good and complimented the spicy dish nicely.


With that...we continued on to Las Vegas and have been having a lot of fun

No comments: