4/5/21

Habits - Building Them And Breaking Them

Good Afternoon.


My days are all out of whack this week due to days off shifts for an upcoming virtual training.  With the type of luck I seem have, I am also having to do some creative scheduling and I think it is causing me a little bit of anxiety.  I have to miss both my WW Virtual Workshop and my in-person Studio limited attendance Workshop.  The beautiful thing about WW is there is a meeting right at your fingertips anytime of the day.  I started by looking at my local workshop options and found one of my favorite back-up WW Coaches was leading a virtual workshop at noon.  I am so glad I went because it was the boot I needed for my week.


This week the WW Technique is about habits.




My WW Coach Heidi shared two books she has really enjoyed reading about habits.  I looked up The Power of Habit on Amazon and watched the author’s video.  It sounds like a really great way to dive deeper behind the science of why we do what we do and how our habits develop.


We have talked many times in my WW workshops about the “habit loop.”  A cue set off a behavior, we give into that behavior, we gain a rewards, and the loop re-sets itself for next time.  When we follow this same loop over and over again, a habit develops.  It can be a healthy habit that is good for us or an unhealthy habit that contributes to us not reaching our goals.


WW suggests the first step is to monitor that behavior.





Then select one of the two choices.





I’ll need to do more reflection on this topic.  I shared in the break out session the habit I have developed that I want to never lose is moving more.  After all the movement on vacation and the fact that moving doesn’t have come as a second thought, I love that I have developed such a healthy habit and I continue to work on each day.


Coach Heidi left us with a great quote:


“Change might not be fast and isn’t easy.  But with time and effort, almost any habit can be reshaped.”

                   - Charles Duhigg

No comments: