10/10/17

New Gym And New Motivation


After much back-and-forth, I decided to join a new-to-me gym just before I left for Missouri.  The old Idaho Athletic Club is now Crunch Fitness and I’ve got two friends who already attend.  I started looking at the gym because it has several group fitness classes.  I used to love going to the YMCA for group classes and stopped going after my back pain began in 2013.  I can’t believe it has been four years since I’ve been at a group exercise class but it sure feels good to be back.

The leader was a substitute and when I had asked her where to turn in our attendance ticket, she asked if I was new.  She said the class was high intensity for the full 30-minutes and to modify if needed.  She said the goal was to finish the class since it was my first time.  I could tell I was the heaviest woman in the class but since this wasn’t my first rodeo with exercise, I thought I held my own pretty well.

The class is designed where you do various high-intensity moves for 20 seconds and then “walk it out” for 40 seconds.  After two rounds you increase the high-intensity to 40 seconds and the rest period drops to 20 seconds.  Next, you do several one-minute high intensity intervals.  Finally, you work your way back down 40/20 and then 20/40.  Pretty soon, the 30-minute class was finished and I was a sweaty mess.

 


And I was really happy with my accomplishment.  At one point, I wanted to slow down my pace after we jogged several times during one-minute intervals.  The leader came over by me during one of our rest periods and said she wanted to tell me how great I was doing and that she would jog the next one with me.  Having her giving me kudos and jogging along with me kept me from slowing my pace the next round.  I really appreciated her support and encouragement.  She said by the end of class we had jogged a total of six minutes.

I had several class members give me a high five at the end of class and a couple even asked if I was going to stay for the next class.  It made me feel very welcome and encouraged.  I am happy I joined the gym and I look forward to trying out other classes Crunch Fitness has to offer.

I’m a bit sore today and since I need to be home in the evening, I’ll do a walk on the treadmill at work (I’m on overtime today) so I can get my activity in for today.  I’m feeling much more motivated as of late.

No comments: