10/9/17

Put Your Oxygen Mask On First


It was a lot of fun traveling with my Mom on our recent trip to visit family in Missouri.  My Mom isn’t a traveler and I really applaud her for stepping outside of her comfort zone. 

You know when you are on a plane and the flight attend explains that you should secure your own oxygen mask first and then help those around you?






The reason for this is that you can’t be helpful to others until you help yourself.  This is also true with weight loss and had me thinking a lot about my weight loss/maintenance journey.






Before leaving for vacation, I was still hanging onto several pounds of my vacation gain from our recent travel to NYC and our New England Cruise.  I was also about 50 pounds heavier than the last time I made the trip to Missouri six years ago.  My MO family didn’t see 304-pound Lindsay.  They only saw 175-pound Lindsay and it was easy to feel self-conscious.  While those around me have noticed the 30 pounds I’ve lost since last year, the MO family would only see the excess weight I’ve gained.  My Mom was also feeling really self-conscious about her weight and mobility so I was bound and determined to help her through this trip. 

If I’d not put on my own oxygen mask first, i.e. joined WW, lost weight, and got healthier, then I wouldn’t have been able to assist my Mom as easily.  The Super 8 in Lebanon was a two story building with no elevator.  My Mom was a rock star going up/down those stairs a few times a day.  I was able to help out by carrying the luggage up/down the stairs so that was one thing she didn’t have to worry about.  I was reminded many times during our trip how much better off my quality of life is since dropping some weight.

That doesn’t mean that I’m not still human and lately I’ve been engaging in negative self-talk when I see a full body vacation photo of myself.  I might not be at my goal weight, but the seatbelt on the plane still buckles.  That makes me really happy.

No comments: