10/28/18

Combating Foot Pain


I went to visit the foot doctor last Tuesday.  I’ve been having issues with plantar fasciitis in my right foot and it has been lingering for about 5 months.  The reason I have not had it checked out is because I was worried there was something more serious wrong and I didn’t want to interfere with our Europe travel plans.  But, I was due for a check-up.

Thankfully, there is nothing seriously wrong.  That was a huge sigh of relief.  The bummer news is that it is just an age-related over-use injury so there isn’t a whole lot you can do for it other than time and rest.  The positive news is that the doctor reminded me that I was seen 10 years ago for the same issue in my left foot.  This time, it is in my right foot.  So, it will get better.  I just takes forever.

The doctor always compliments me on my amazing foot range of motion.  He didn’t think I needed to do any stretching because my calves were not tight.  What he did suggest was standing/walking on my tip toes first thing in the morning and anytime I have been sitting for a while.  This helps to stretch out the tendon vs. putting stress on it when you jump out of bed and put your foot straight down.  So far, I do think this has been helping.  It sure is tough to walk on your tip toes first thing in the morning, especially when you’ve gotten out of bed for a quick potty break.

The doctor also suggested a new line of shoes on the market called Hoka One One.  I actually just saw these shoes at my Weight Watcher workshop and Ruth, who is 82 years old and walks a 5K every day, said she loved them and that they were the most comfortable shoe ever.  We went to REI to look at the shoes and then on Thursday, I went to Fleet Feet in Meridian, a local running shop, so I could compare models and see how they felt in the store.  I decided on the Clifton 5 variety and left knowing I had 60 days to decide if I like them.  I liked those odds!


The verdict: so far, so good!  I have worn these shoes each day and find them to be very comfortable. What is also noticeable is that after a lot of movement or time on my feet, while my feet are tired, I’m not getting that heal pain nor do I feel like my heal pain is at bad the next day.  Of course, I’m doing my tip toes which I hope is helping too.

The thing with Hoka shoes is they are a bit ugly.  They are a cushion shoe so they have a large sole, which is white, and really noticeable. 

 


Since I wear boot cut jeans, I’m not sure they look at terrible and if they are comfy, that is what matters.

 


I walked around The Village before meeting a friend for a visit. 


I plan to get back into activity now that we have rearranged our bonus room and the treadmill seems to be more level now.  It feels good to get in activity and I’ve got new shoes that need to be used.  I won’t be using these shoes at the gym though as I’m afraid I’d fall with the large soles.  My hope is that I’ll be able to step down to my Brooks when I am going to the gym but keep my feet happy in my new Hokas the other times. 

No comments: