2/24/21

Meet George, My New Friend

During the Christmas season, I spotted an electric folding bicycle at Costco. 



The Jetson Bolt Pro Electric Bike had a price point that was reasonable at $299.  The bike looked like exactly what I wanted for those summer months when meeting my friends to ride bikes on the greenbelt.  While I own a decent cruiser bicycle, it needs the chain put back on and new inner tubes, all of which I just don’t want to mess with.  I keep thinking I will take my bike to a repair shop for an overhaul, but then trying to manhandle it into the back of my car feels like so much work.

You can imagine why this foldable bicycle looked so appealing.  At just 41 pounds, it would be easy to fold up and put in the back of my car.  This would allow me to transport it anywhere for a ride.  Imagine the possibilities of not having to ride a bicycle just in my neighborhood.

Another reason this bike appealed to me was for the pedal assist option you get with an electric bicycle.  I have never had pedal assist and while I didn’t know anything about it, I was still curious.  I don’t love bike riding.  The hardest parts, like going up a hill, would be much more enjoyable with some power behind it.  This electric bike as a battery range of 14 miles if you use the full power or up to 30 miles if you use the pedal assist.  I am not sure my lady bits can even take 30 miles of bike riding so it sounded like this battery range using the pedal assist would be perfect for me.

I could see myself riding this bike over to our local Walmart when I needed to pick up a few grocery items.  It would save me to ride vs. having to go on foot as it is 1.3 miles roundtrip.  I used to bike all the time to my local stores when we lived in our hold apartment and our old house.  I think I would bike more now if I had a working bike (I know…I know…just fix my old bike…).

The only reason I talked myself out of buying this bike in November is that winter was coming and it seemed silly to buy a bike I wouldn’t be able to use.  It also meant I would need to make sure I was disciplined enough to keep the battery fully charged while not being able to ride. 

We had a very mild winter, except for this last week of February.  When I spotted the bicycle back in stock at Costco, I just knew I really wanted it.  I spent a little more time researching and looking at reviews.  I was sold.  I dragged Kenyon back to Costco to help me load the large box and watch over me while I put it together.  The electric bike, which we are calling George since it is a Jetson, made its inaugural ride last week during a very brisk 32 degree day with slight wind and no sun.  But hey, I just had to try it out!

 

I LOVE IT!  I still don’t love bike riding, but I do love this bike.  It is perfect and exactly what I was looking for.  I almost get giddy right now to get out and ride again.  Now, if only this weather would improve…

**edited since I typed this to add....I had my first bike crash.  On Monday, I was out riding on a main roadway with on bike shoulder.  When I tried to move out of traffic, I got too close to the road edge and went down.  I am so thankful there was not a car being me since I fell into traffic.  I was able to get up quickly and get out of the road.  With no broken bones and no broken bike, I made it off the road into a park-and-ride.  I took another survey of myself, which my right elbow and forearm was the worst of it.  I also tore a hole in both my gloves and my favorite bright colored fleece.  But, I was alive and I think my bike is okay, or so it seems.  It was scary.  I will get back out there but I will make sure that I find a safer place to ride. 

No comments: