3/30/13

Oatmeal, Oatmeal, Oatmeal




I love oatmeal.  I have oatmeal for breakfast most days.  I like my oatmeal cooked on the stove with a chopped up apple or pear.  I always add cinnamon during the baking process.  Once my oatmeal has cooked I will then add brown sugar and a Stevia packet letting it sit on the stove covered with a lid for a bit.  I top it with peanut butter and honey.

I never get tired of oatmeal.  Sometimes I change it up and add fresh strawberries after cooking.  I will sometimes add frozen blueberries during the cooking process and I really enjoy it with fresh cranberries.  They are tart and juicy when cooked.  Plus they make a funny hissing noise as they boil.

Through the wonderful world of blogging, I learned about Overnight Oats.  This is a cold version of oatmeal mixed with yogurt and milk.  Overnight Oats is very yummy when you mix it up to set overnight in a peanut butter jar with left over peanut butter residual.  It is very easy to make.  You take equal parts oats (raw or uncooked), milk, and yogurt.  I add cinnamon, a Stevia packet and frozen fruit.  Mix it all up and place it into the fridge to set overnight.  The oats soak up the milk and yogurt mixture.  It is an easy breakfast for on the go.  You could also add flavored yogurt if you wanted.

Hungry Girl gave me the idea to cook my oatmeal plan then add in a container of no sugar added flavored applesauce at the end of cooking.  This way you get a different kind of oatmeal everyday.

Recently I have been mixing part oats and part Cream of Wheat for a creamier texture then just straight hot oats.  I measure everything and 40 grams of oatmeal (1 serving) is 4 PPVs.  Instead of 40 grams oats I will measure 30 grams of oats and 10 grams of whole grain Cream of Wheat.  I use the plain kind since it has less sugar but you could you a flavored kind of Cream of Wheat if you wanted.  33 grams of Cream of Wheat (1 serving) is 3 PPVs so by measuring out 10 grams it is only 1 PPV.  You still have a serving of oatmeal that is 4 PPVs.  By cutting up an apple or pear and cooking it in with my oatmeal it increases the volume.  The peanut butter topping is just an added bonus since I love it so much!

Enjoy!!

No comments: