3/16/13

What Success Really Looks Like


I found this picture posted on Facebook and through it was appropriate for weight loss and maintenance.
Is your road to success a straight one?  Or does your road have twists, turns, dips, bumps, narrow bridges, and even a few pot holes?
Mine sure does.
My weight loss journey was filled with many detours and struggles.  During my journey, it took me 12 weeks to lose just 5 pounds.  When I was stressed over losing weight, I almost skipped serving birthday cake.  I rationalized that cake was really only for your guests and my guests didn’t need any (I am glad I wised up and had cake).  I cried some.  I doubted myself and my abilities.  I was “robbed” at the scale when I worked so hard for a loss. 
My weight loss journey was also filled with many positives.
In either case, it was a success.  I lost 130 pounds in two years.
My maintenance journey has also been filled with a few detours and struggles.  I had to pay at my meeting after being a free Lifetime member for well over a year.  After being below goal by 10 pounds for my first year of maintenance, I started to gain some back.  My third year of maintenance I had to pay at my meetings for five straight months.  I still cry sometimes and have occasional doubts.
My maintenance journey has also been filled with many positives.
In either case, I am still a success.  I have maintained my 130 pound weight loss for four years.
So, how about that very important question: What is success?  Is a person not a success if they have lost weight and gained a little back?  Is a person not a success if they have not yet made their goal weight?  Absolutely not!!!  Success can be defined in so many ways and is different for each individual person.
Regardless of how YOU view success, remember that your road to reaching your success in weight loss or maintenance isn’t going to be perfect and it isn’t going to always be easy.    But it will ALWAYS be worth it!
Celebrate your success!!!  I would love for you to leave a comment with a few so I can celebrate with you.

No comments: