9/24/14

Call Me Queen Lindsay

Good Morning and Happy Hump Day!
I am still on cloud nine from getting my new iPhone 6 Plus yesterday.  I’ll tell you more about that on another day.  Today I’ll fill you in on my recent dentist appointment.
I have not been to the dentist in a very long time.  I had braces put on my teeth when I was in 7th grade and after a few years of poking and pulling and sore teeth I wasn’t in any hurry to visit the dentist.  I had to get my wisdom teeth out to protect the investment my mother and father had made on my smile but other than that, not much.
The tooth on my lower left molar, second from the back, has been hurting me for a few years now.  It has a hole in it and when something gets in that hole and I bite down it hurts.  I have such a fear of the dentist and I am equally afraid I’d get a lecture for not flossing, even though I brush twice a day.  I finally decided enough was enough and I needed to get my tooth looked at.  I was a ball of nerves that morning and really wanted to cancel.  What if I needed a root canal?  I think that is what scared me the most.
The staff at Emerald West Family Dentistry was great.  I had such a nice time chatting with the hygienist (why do they insist on talking with stuff in your mouth?) and Dr. Hess was also really nice.  The hygienist complimented my teeth saying it “wasn’t that bad” but she would have to “chisel some of the stuff off.”  Then Dr. Hess swoops in and rattles off tooth number this and tooth number that.  The next thing I know I’m being told I need one crown and six fillings.  Oy!

The temporary crown and the filling in the tooth next to it were done on Monday.  Thank goodness for Care Credit and no-interest financing.  I got back for my permanent crown this coming Monday.  I am also slow to feel the numbness and after an extra dose, it took several hours for my mouth and lip to go back to feeling normal.  When the dental assistant pulled out the color matching scale to match the color of the crown to my tooh I asked if I could get a purple crown.  She said no.  Wouldn’t that have been fun?
I will be honest.  I don’t love to floss and it takes forever.  But, I am going to try and be better at keeping my teeth in good shape.  Maybe next cleaning there will be less to chisel.

No comments: