9/8/14

My Meeting With A Personal Trainer

As you know by now, Kenyon and I joined a new gym.  Part of our membership to Axiom was meeting with a trainer and getting a “work-up” done.  I was excited to meet with the trainer since I have always toyed with the idea of some personal training sessions.  I had expected to really like the quick exposure I would have with a trainer but I had not expected the large price tag that went with it!  While I won’t be signing up for any sessions right now, I have a new appreciation for the results.



It is hard to share this with you but I feel like I need a reality check on what has been going on lately with my mood and the effect it has on my weight.  I have not been to a WW meeting in a few weeks and I wish I could say that the scale hasn’t changed.  Starting this week I will be able to attend the Monday meetings regularly now, which I am grateful for.  I miss my routine.

My weight at Axiom was 191.  This is the highest weight I’ve ever been on maintenance.  When we got home from Hawaii my weight was 189 and I have surpassed that.  I have not always been that high though so I am not going to discredit myself.  My back was really uncomfortable after Hawaii and I was in quite a bit of pain.  This excess weight around my middle doesn’t help my back/hip situation.  This is reason number one I need to bring the scale number down.

When I entered my weight into the Thrive Idaho site updating my health assessment it had a HUGE (no pun intended) impact.  When I completed my initial assessment my overall health score was 94 and I was considered very low risk for health issues.  When I entered my new weight into the system my score dropped to 54 putting me into a bigger risk category.  It upset me in that while my overall health is good, my eating is mostly healthy, and my cholesterol numbers are also mostly healthy that being 16 pounds over my goal weight means I am at a greater risk to my health.  I must not lose sight of the fact that being 16 pounds over my goal weight is TONS better than 130 pounds over my goal weight.  I need to work to reduce my weight but my main focus is overall health. 

My BMI is 30.9 and my Body Fat Percentage is 37%.  I’m not sure how to reduce the body fat percentage other than just diet and exercise.  I need to put in some good effort of my time to strength training as well.  The proposed plan from the Axiom trainers would be training three times a week for 30 minutes.  They are estimating my goals of:

Weight – 169
Body Fat Percentage – 28%
BMI – 27.3

Their estimation is that I will lose 23 pounds of weight and gain 1 pound of muscle.

I know if I really looked at my spending budget I could find a way to afford their training package.  I am just not sure right now I want to “invest” that amount of money.  I am on such a great path right now to get my major bills paid off.  My health is important but I know I am not doing all I can do on my own to turn this scale climb around.  Kenyon and I are going to put forth a good effort, get to the gym, support each other, and work at getting healthy together.  If it feels like I still need extra support I’ll take the lap and make the investment in personal training sessions.

Thanks for listening to my ramble!  Accountability is my top priority and I am most accountable when I am being honest with myself and with you all.  I have no reason to hide anything.  It is just hard to put this all out there as I am human.

1 comment:

Dawny said...

You are AWESOME.... =-)

Im so proud of you for paying attention and thinking about what is going on, and how it makes you feel.

I know that you will be successful =-)