9/2/14

#TravelFit2014: Active Cruising

Let’s talk about vacation travel and activity.


You all know I LOVE to travel.  And you all know I LOVE to eat (and drink) when I travel.  The key is balancing it out with activity.  Today’s travel and activity topic: Cruising.
 




I have cruised three times all on Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL).  Each cruise was to different destinations and on different ships.  Our first cruise was to Alaska and was the first time I “got my feet wet” as far as how cruises work and what to expect.  I learned a lot on that cruise in terms of activity and travel and applied that knowledge to future cruises.  There are many ways to stay active on a cruise ship and at the ports of call.

Almost every cruise ship will have gym/fitness equipment on board:  Alaska was cold and we were cooped up on the ship for several hours as we didn’t arrive at our first port until 2pm the following day.  I had good intentions of using the gym facilities; however, I only ended up there once.  This was sort of the “what not to do” on a cruise.  It was really neat walking on a treadmill looking out over the ocean.  NCL has a full gym with treadmills and exercise equipment.  Also offered are various exercise classes for an additional fee.  There really is no excuse for not getting in a little cardio while on vacation and having a gym right there on the ship makes it really easy.


Almost every cruise ship will have a walking track on board:   When I cruised to The Bahamas on our second NCL cruise, I preferred using the walking track on one of the ship decks for getting my sweat on.  Our Bahamas cruise was so much warmer than our Alaska cruise.  I used the walking track onboard the ship every morning.  It was really extra fun  since the ship is docked at port since you get different scenery as you round each corner.


There are lots of walking opportunities available at your ports of call: Our port stops in Alaska were really small and easily walk-able.  After being cooped up on the ship I couldn’t wait to get out and stretch my legs.  We walked all over Juneau, Skagway (the tiniest town I’ve ever seen) and Ketchikan.  Getting lost on foot trying to find Craigdarroch Castle in Victoria, BC, Canada provided tons of walking.  Traffic in The Bahamas is very chaotic that it felt safer on foot.  I really enjoyed exploring the sights on Nassau with our walking tour map.  When we stopped in Maui, our first port of call in Hawaii, we walked a total of nine miles.  The next time you take a cruise ditch the formal tours with transportation and take in the sights on foot.  You will have much more fun, see a lot more, and burn off some of that extra food (desserts!!!).






There are ample opportunities to take the stairs on board your ship: When I am on a cruise ship I love to take the stairs whenever I have the opportunity.  It gives me some extra activity and gets my heart rate pumping.  It also frees up the elevator space for those that really need it.  There are often times the wait for the elevator is very long or you are on a full elevator that stops at every floor.  Taking the stairs can save time.


There are ample opportunities to log extra steps on board your ship:  On our Hawaii cruise we booked a room at the aft (back) of the ship and most of the planned activities were at the front of the ship.  I logged so many more steps on my Fitbit by walking to/from each location multiple times a day.  During our kukui nut lei making class I purchased several kits to make additional leis for family.  I walked my purchase back to our room only to turn around and walk right back to the auditorium for the sarong tying class.  Finding little ways to log extra steps really adds up.



I am participating with #TravelFit2014 where I am sharing with you my tips for staying active while on vacation.  I plan to break my blogposts up into a few different categories of travel and activity so I can share with you my experiences.  For additional tips from other travelers, search using the hashtag above.

No comments: