1/23/14

Hawaii: NCL Pride Of America

**I had to do a mix of blogger app blogging and actual blogging on my Mac so the photos are both big and small. **

A portion of our Hawaiian vacation included a seven day cruise on Norweigan Cruise Line's Pride of America.





The POA is the only ship that cruises just the Hawaiian islands. It costs a bit extra but we really liked the ability to see all the islands in one trip. The itenery was an overnight stop in Maui, day stops at both Hilo and Kona on the Big Island, and then an overnight stop in Kauai. This was our third NCL cruise and we really like their laid back "Freestyle Crusing" philosopy.







We booked a balcony room on deck seven and got a little bit of a deal through Costco Travel. We also had a $50 onboard credit promotion waiting for us. This ship had coffee makers in the room with the best Hawaiian coffee. It was quite delicious.












There are two things I really love about crusing. The first is that you unpack once for your whole seven days. It is nice to not have to live out of a suitcase while on vacation. The second is that all the food is included so you don't have to worry about menu prices. If you want an appetizer, main dish, and dessert just order it all. If you want two of each then order it! I also love there is always a salad bar and fresh fruit. Often when I travel I am craving veggies and you don't usually get a salad included in your meal. It makes it very convienant.


It also makes it easy to over eat!

I also love towel animals. My favorite was the penguin.










We are a members of NCL's Latitudes program where you earn rewards the more you cruise. On our Bahamas cruise last year we somehow got a free bottle of wine (for me) and two free soda packages (for Kenyon). I was looking forward to that perk this time around. Sadly, we didn't have anything waiting for us when we boarded the ship. 

However, after our first night we were invited to a Latitudes members cocktail party. Free booze? I am pretty sure you know the answer to that. While I am sure they would have given Kenyon free Diet Pepsi, he didn't accompany me to the cocktail party. Fear not! As Grandma A always said, "we could talk to a fence post." I invited a coupe that was from Connecticut to join me. We had a great time visiting.




NCL has adopted the "Freestyle Cruising" so there is not a set eating schedule or restaurant. Also no formal night. However, not all of the food is included in your cost. There are free restaurants and a buffet. They also offer free coffee, tea, water, lemonade, ice tea, and at breakfast juices. Our ship even had a cappuccino machine that made Americanos for free. I was in heaven!



Then there are speciality restaurants that cost per person if you want something different.


We made do with the free food and except for a drink one night (for me) and a milkshake (for me) so we didn't spend much! Here is a small bit of what I ate. If I had taken photos of it all you would all gain 20 pounds just reading about it!




I already started eating before I took a photo. This is turkey, dressing, and mashed sweet potato

Kenyon pointed out they has coconut syrup






Lemon sorbet
I have no idea what this meal was!


You can read more about my Hawaii travel:
Hawaii: All Day Travel
Hawaii: Pearl Harbor - USS Arizona
Hawaii: Pearl Harbor Part 2
Hawaii: Dole Pineapple Plantation
Hawaii: North Shore
Hawaii: The Food

No comments: