1/30/14

Hawaii: Port Of Call - Kona

We originally had plans to book an excursion through the ship in Kona and use our $50 on board credit. However, we were feeling tired and after listening to our tour bus driver in Hilo talk NON-STOP we needed a down day. So we decided to just wander around Kona on foot.

 
 
Kona is a tender port so you have to catch a tender boat to the dock. The lines were long and it was HOT. But we eventually got to land.

 
 
 
 
We headed first to Hilo Hattie's, an Hawaiian store known well on the islands. They sell a lot of traditional clothing. It was funny later to see the 80 year old couples in matching Hawaiian dresses and shirts. I asked Kenyon if he would do that for me and he said no. Hey, I was pushing my luck in even getting him to wear the kukua nut lei for a photo!

 
I really liked the free water they were offering as you entered the door. It was a very hot day in Kona! We headed to Walmart to buy some Coke Zero and ended up walking much farther than planned. Looks are deceiving and we thought it was closer than it really was. We also picked up a calendar at Hilo Hattie's to mail to my mother-in-law with a Hawaii postmark (which she loved).

 
After walking for five miles we ended up back by the water and I spotted at a shaved ice place. It was overly priced and the sugar free flavors were basically just water. But I ate it as I was thirsty and hot! I also thought I earned a yummy alcoholic drink for all my walking! They had free WiFi so Kenyon was willing to sit with me while I had my drink.

 
 
We headed back to the ship early as there wasn't much to do.

 
 


You can read more about my Hawaii travel:
Hawaii: All Day Travel
Hawaii: Pearl Harbor - USS Arizona
Hawaii: Pearl Harbor Part 2
Hawaii: Dole Pineapple Plantation
Hawaii: North Shore
Hawaii: The Food
Hawaii: NCL Pride of America
Hawaii: Pride of America - The Entertainment
Hawaii: Port Of Call - Maui
Hawaii: Port Of Call - Hilo

No comments: