1/15/14

Hawaii: Pearl Harbor - USS Arizona

I am having some trouble with my blogger app (too many photos I assume) so I have to split Pearl Harbor into two posts. I don't want to delete any photos so sorry for the inconvience.


Our first two days in Oahu were split up spent touring the Pearl Harbor Attractions and Memorials.
My first impression of Oahu is that it is very green. It has this odd Jurassic Park feel to it. I kept thinking a T-Rex was going to come down and eat us!
The streets are tough to navigate. Sometimes we trusted our GPS and sometimes we didn't. But eventually we got to our destination. We also met Kenyon's high school classmate for dinner, whom lives on the island with her family as her husband is in the military and stationed there. It was really nice to finally meet her in person.


Pearl Harbor is a must see if you ever visit Hawaii. We went for the passport option which was admission to all the attractions for $55. I highly recommend it. It does take a full day to get through it all the attractions and we ended up splitting it into two days and that worked out well too.


I visited Washington DC when I graduated high school and part of my visit was to the Holicost Museum. I remember the impact it had on me and mostly I vividly remember the smell of it. There was a distinct smell. The same is true for the Arizona Memorial. Besides the fact that seeing it has an impact when we first pulled up on the boat all you smell is oil. The ship is still seeping out oil. We were told on our tour to remove it would be disrespectful.

You can read more about my Hawaii travel:
Hawaii: All Day Travel

1 comment:

S. Galloway said...

Just seeing your pictures and reading your post I can smell the oil. It is so moving to and see first hand the Arizona. Makes me cry everytime.