1/13/14

Hawaii: All Day Travel

It was a long day of travel for Kenyon and I. It didn't help that we woke up the morning we were set to depart to SNOW!!!
We actually woke up at 1am on our Hawaii travel day. We had not been sleeping much in the days prior to vacation since we were rotating from graveyard to day shift. We woke up at 1am and checked outside to see the "inch of snow" expected was actually more like two inches and still coming down! Since I always shovel my elderly neighbor's driveway we decided to seize the day and just get up and moving! Hey, I could use the extra steps too.


It turned out to be a good thing we got up early as I had to do some last minute luggage shuffling. I had packed a week early (yes, I am not good at packing so I started early) in at attempt to get it all into one suitcase. I had to shuffle some to Kenyon's suitcase and we both ended up with 46 pounds bags!
Despite the snow and the delay for de-icing we were on our way to Hawaii via Seattle. We didn't get to ride on the BSU plane though.
This is my "excited to get started" face.

Horizon Air, a partner to Alaksa Air, operated the first leg of the trip and offers free booze! You can have free local wine and beer. Free booze at 7am? Sign me up! I had a glass of Chardonnay. Like any good WW member I also asked for a glass of water. The flight attendant gave me an odd look. It wasn't like I was getting wine and coke. Sheesh!
Turns out that wasn't the best idea as I had little sleep and it made for a rude awaking when we came in for our landing. Apparently I had nodded fallen asleep. The Horizan plane was super tiny so I was happy to see our much larger plane when we boarded in Seattle.


We got some food in Seattle and settled in for our five and a half hour flight to Hawaii. Apparently we had good winds and were getting in early. That highway in the sky sure was a bumpy one though.
I have not flown Alaska Air previously but I was imprssed with this part of our flight and our attendants. We had a whole intenery waiting for us when we boarded. You better believe I zoned in on the "complemtary Mai Tai" that was to be served as we got closer to Hawaii. I am alway up for free booze!
Our flight had awful turblance though that they had to suspend the drink service RIGHT BEFORE MY ROW!!! Whomp...whomp. I was a bit sad. Then they came through with just a try of drinks saying, "Mai Tai anybody?" Suddenly I was happy! Apparently It doesn't take much to make me happy. I settled in with my Mai Tai and the last of the video I rented to watch on the plane. I decided to rent to three movie sequence, "Before Sunset, Before Sunrise, and After Midnight". So far two of three are good but they are a bit slow moving.
Finally we arrived! And what a sight upon landing. We spotted a rainbow.
The Honolulu Airport is beautiful with an outdoor area included.
We made our way to Manu Mele B&B, our home away from home for part of this trip. The owner Carol is really great. I had heard great things about this B&B though my research. Her garden on the grounds is beautiful. She says it is her hobby.
We are just a short walk to the beach.
It was a long day of travel but we arrived safe and sound. It was really rainy when arrived but has cleared up now.
I hope the sunshine sticks around! We have lots of fun on the agenda!

1 comment:

S. Galloway said...

I love that you left with snow on ground LOL. Make Hawaii look even better!!