1/26/14

Activity, Both At Home And On Vacation


I completed my 5K yesterday for the 2nd Annual Runs for Cookies Virtual 5K.  It was tough!
 

I decided to just go the treadmill route.  I started out strong but only walking at a 3.2 pace.  My back was feeling okay but it was hard to stay focused on the TV show I was watching.  After I was about two miles in time really just started to drag.  I completed it though so that is what matters!

 

And, as sad as it is, this was my highest day of steps logged on my FitBit since I got back from vacation.  I really must work on that!

Speaking of the FitBit, the main reason for the purchase of it was to see how much walking we did in Hawaii and on the cruise ship.  It was really impressed with our results!  Over the 13 days we were gone (including both days of travel) we walked 67.3 miles.  That is an average of five miles a day.  I know that I added a bit to that total by just walking to/from the front of the ship (to the entertainment) and to/from our room (at the back of the ship).  I also took the stairs when I could often walking up several flights of stairs.  Had I not eaten so much I might not have gained so much!!!
 

Wednesday Jan 8th – 13,709 steps and 5.92 miles.  I did have snow shoveling this morning to help in my totals however I was still impressed with how many steps we logged for a day of all travel.  We did walk around the Seattle airport a little bit.

 

Thursday – 11,432 steps and 4.93 miles

Friday – 11,831 steps and 5.09 miles

Saturday – 10,011 steps and 4.34 miles

Sunday – 21,028 steps and 9.19 miles.  This was our largest walking day of our whole trip.  We had just rolled into Maui for our first port stop.  We walked to/from the shopping center and Whole Foods to get some soda and also to gauge where we go to catch the city bus.  We also had a lot of walking around the ship this first day and our excursion to Haleakala Crater, which added a few hours of walking around as well.
 

Monday – 12,991 steps and 5.66 miles

Tuesday – 9,753 steps and 4.22 miles.  This was the day we had an all day excursion in Hilo.  You can tell a difference in steps when we are riding on a tour bus vs. doing most of our own walking.  I have to say though the rest was nice.
 

Wednesday – 15,199 steps and 6.63 miles

Thursday – 6,159 steps and 2.65 miles.  Another small day of steps logged.  We arrived in Kauai this day.  We were on a tour bus in the morning and it was raining all day.  Once we arrived back at the ship we didn’t get out and walk around the port.  The rain was pretty much non-stop this day.  It was nice to have another down day.

Friday – 14,091 steps and 6.1 miles

Saturday – 8.858 steps and 3.85 miles.  I am surprised we got in as many steps as we did today.  Once we disembarked the ship and got to our rental car we headed to the B&B and then sought out a laundromat.  We were both feeling pretty tired by this day.
 

Sunday – 13,240 steps and 5.72 miles.  This was our hike to Diamond Head early in the morning.  It is easy to log extra steps when you day starts super early.  We also attended a luau that evening and I was walking to/from the food, drinks, and bathroom so that helped log a few extra steps.


 

Monday Jan 20th – 6,803 steps and 3 miles.  Our final travel day of travel felt really long.  I was also really uncomfortable with my back this day.  There was no extra walking in the airports although in Seattle we did kill some time by taking the long way to/from the food court area in the main terminal.  I had noticed right before bed I was at like 2.99 miles so I walked a few extra steps to show 3 miles.  Hey, every little bit adds up right?
 

If you have a fit bit you know that you can see where your friends are at on their weekly totals and it ranks you based on your steps.  It was kind of fun to be ranked in second place for most of our vacation.  That NEVER happens in my daily life.  The extra activity was great and I only wish I could keep up with that all the time!  However, work schedules and life can make that a little difficult.  I also really do want my back to feel better again.  I don’t want to baby it or use it as an excuse but I also don’t want to be in pain.  I just need to be patient.

I also need to get my food on track ASAP.  I am working on that this week.  Activity is important and I do want to continue to live an active lifestyle.  But I also know “you can’t exercise away a bad diet.”  And that is VERY true.

No comments: