1/11/14

Guest Post - Dawny Who Lost 260 Pounds: Part Two



Part Two

Dawny has recently made a change by embracing the Simply Filling Technique that is part of the WW program.  Dawny is already a really clean eater who LOVES her veggies.  However, after feeling miserable with some aspects of her maintenance journey she decided it was time to make some changes.

With Dawny’s permission, I am going to share more with you some of our email conversation.

I’ve never embraced simply filling, because I convinced myself I couldn't.   I am a master at convincing myself of stuff like I have to have a number of points tell me how much to eat and when to stop.  I can (and do) eat hungry or not, overeat, eat things even if they aren't good and I don't like them, eat things because someone else is, or just because it's time to eat.  But…I have that points number to tell me when enough is enough, and then well yah..

I’ve convinced myself that exercise = weight loss.


I’ve convinced myself that I must do the EXACT same thing each and every week (food, exercise LIFE) to keep the scale exactly how I want it (despite the fact that it doesn't work and the scale does what it wants.) BUT I continued to believe I HAD/HAVE to do the exact same thing every day, etc. seriously, down to what I eat for breakfast, lunch, and snacks, I’m not kidding and/or exaggerating, the ONLY fluctuation was really dinner, and that depended on the day of the week, earlier in the week I was a bit more flexible, however I still kept it in pretty close 'range' of the same volume/meal etc. (4ppv protein, 2ppv carb, then veggie etc.)

I have a routine, this is the exercise I do on this day NO MATTER WHAT... this is what I have for breakfast on THIS day NO MATTER WHAT, I every day will eat this NO matter what. Why?? Because it's what I’ve done and what I have to do.  I’m slowly, very gradually breaking free from this.  It's hard.. I struggle, but I’m getting there, slow but sure.


This was Dawny's first half marathon!


Realizing I am in control of me, NOT a daily points target is hard, but, breaking free from that I decided to embark on simply filling, it's been two weeks.  Oh my, I’m not tracking ANYTHING except NON-Power Food items and it feels so freeing. Liberating maybe? I have eaten more… maybe… mostly just animal protein… doing rough 'guestimates' of my DPT in my head on occasion. I’m really eating 'about the same' number of PPVs.  HOWEVER I’ve allowed myself more things, more 'freedom' I’ve been eating REAL peanut butter, eggs, liberally adding things like beans/legumes to my meals (I LOVE THEM) low fat/fat free cheese, cake, cookies, yogurt, not overly extreme like abusive, I’ve been eating more whole grain carbs, (oatmeal, rice, pasta, potatoes) and I’m LOVING it.

I’ve stopped weighing/measure EVERY thing I put in my mouth, some things I still do, you kind of have to like liquid egg whites for say, and just to keep myself in check sometimes the beans in my salad. I’ve been eating things that cost PPVs like salad dressings etc.. because I LIKE it and I can!

I don't know that I’ll ever go back! I KNOW I don't want to!!

One of my favroite photos.  Dawny was selected to go to New York for a make-over!!
I had dinner COOKED and my husband came home and suggested dinner out, I promptly wrapped up the dinner for another time, and away we went.  This type of behavior is phenomenal. I felt so free and empowered!

I don't want to gain weight (okay, shit really who does?) BUT at the same time, I don’t want to keep living in diet hell/prison either, what the heck was the point of my accomplishment if I have to miserable and not enjoy life at all, food, living etc.

I like it, I like that I was at the store and had a cake sample.  Did I want two?  Yes. Did I have two?  Yes.   Did I want three?  Yes!  Did I have three?  No, my son didn't let me, THANKFULLY.  Will I overeat? Sure I’m sure I will.  Do I want to?  No.  Will I always?  No, I hope not, but it is okay sometimes.

No comments: