9/17/14

What I Ate Yesterday (Tuesday)

I have not blogged about my food in a few weeks so I guess it is time I owed you a food post.  I actually wrote this blog yesterday and had to edit it this morning.  Yesterday was an over-indulgence in sweets!  I need to work on my resistance muscle and start saying no more.  Mostly it was poor planning as I had not planned a meal with a dessert in the evening.  If I knew that was on the agenda I wouldn’t have had sweets during the day.  With that being said, the dessert in the evening looked so yummy I didn’t want to resist.
 

Tuesday was my first day back at work for the week. I had eaten out twice on Monday so I decided yesterday I had better keep my PPVs in check! (Or that was the plan as least when I started my day).  I started my morning off with some oatmeal but yesterday I made a change. I was reading on Anne’s blog about building a better bowl of oatmeal. I already pump up my oats by adding peanut butter, Chia seeds, and coconut oil. However, I liked her idea of adding milk (or Almond milk) to create a fluffier bowl of oatmeal. Boy was she right! Yesterday I added Almond milk instead of water and it cooked up so nice a fluffly. I really enjoyed this change. The Almond milk doesn’t yield much extra protein; however, I was more interested in less sugar than regular milk. This will be my new go-to for cooking my oats.

 


I decided yesterday I needed to start reducing the amount of oats/oat bran (which is only 40 grams total uncooked to begin with) because lately the volume after cooking as made me feel a bit too full.  Today I added 20 grams oats and 10 grams oat bran hot cereal.
My teeth and gums are still a bit sore from dentist appointment on Monday so I tried to throw together snack ideas that wouldn’t be too hard on my teeth. The last few weeks I have been eating snacks other than my usual go-to of Greek yogurt and fruit. When I used My Fitness Pal to track for a few days I realized I was blowing through my sugar allotment really fast and early in my day. I am trying to make small changes to yield different results.

I packed two sets of snacks yesterday since I worked a 12-hour shift. That way I wasn’t super hungry by the time I got off work. My first snack was watermelon with cottage cheese. I love this snack!  A coworker brought in fresh donuts so I shared a sliver of an iced old fashioned with my supervisor.



My second was carrots, celery, and cucumbers with sour cream ranch dip and a WW string cheese. I had wanted hummus and pita chips but thought I better give my mouth a few more days rest.  I forgot to snap a photo of my veggies and cheese stick.

Lunch was a boring salad. I had some lettuce on hand to use and I knew a salad was a good way to get in my veggie serving and keep my PPVs low. This is just lettuce and turkey (see, I told you it was boring). I did try out a new dressing: Lighthouse Toasted Sesame Ginger. It has 8 grams of sugar in just 2 Tbs, which is more than I usually would go for but I really like the taste.


I ended up taking a bit of the blueberry zucchini bread that was at work.  I was in a sugar mood yesterday.


My dinner plan was to cook up some peppers, chicken sausage, and potato.  Sometimes we don’t stick to the plan and Tuesday was a good example of that.  My friend emailed me late in the day with an invite to an information talk on the recent medical diagnosis she has been dealing with.  It is at Cottonwood Grille and they serve dinner.  I was feeling really tired and worked a 12-hour shift but I wanted to be there to support her.  There are usually three choices of main dishes and two choices of dessert.  I ordered the chicken and the mixed berry cobbler.  Oh man that cobbler was GOOOOD!

 
 

I ate the chicken breast portion, the broccoli, and part of the potatoes.  I ate most of the salad and had two slices of bread.  When dessert came I dug in for the melty ice cream and the top layer with the sugary crust.  It was delicious.

It is easy to not want to post my food since I went way over my DPA and indulged more than necessary.  I think you can see now why I am still over my goal weight and why I need to make some changes!

No comments: