8/27/14

Thrive Idaho Update

I was hoping to be able to pop in with my Thrive Idaho update and share with you my recent cholesterol results. I test my cholesterol each year. You don't HAVE to check it each year. However, as a WW member you need other focus besides just the number on the scale and so checking my cholesterol helps me see a bigger picture. While I have not yet gotten the results (I'm impatient) my doctor did send me a note telling me all looks good and there isn't any need for follow up. Yeah! She also sent in the health questioner for Thrive Idaho. That is the last thing I need to collect my points and earn my $250 cash reward. Sweet.

I signed into the Thrive Idaho portal to get signed up. The first step is filling out a health assessment. It took about 15 minutes and asked several questions of diet, exercise, mental health, and also has a place to enter in your cholesterol numbers. I'll add that in when I get my results. So far, here is what it says.

The only big red mark was that I am a Moderate Risk.
Your BMI of 29.9 indicates that you are overweight. (Ideally, your BMI should be between 18.5 and 24.9.)” I already knew I would be over the BMI numbers. Even when I was at my doctor goal weight that I have set with WW of 175 I am still considered overweight by the BMI standards. I don't really put much value into this number. It is obviously one indicator and it doesn't even separate men from women. So everybody that is 5'6” is “supposed” to weigh 155. Um...no thank you. It further stated that carrying excess pounds increases your risk of developing health problems such as heart disease, diabetes and some types of cancer. If you're having a problem losing weight, see your doctor.”

I was really happy to see the overall wellness score.
Your overall wellness score is 94 out of 100.

You are at a LOW risk state of health based on your answers to the health assessment. Keep up the healthy behaviors!” That made me feel really great!

The second part is to get your health questioner signed off by the doctor. She has submitted that for me. The third and fourth steps are to watch videos and take quizzes. This one cracked me up.

What are three of the five tips for eating healthy?

a) Use whole grain bread, drink half of a soda instead of a whole soda, and eat slowly

b) Eat cookies, stand while eating, and put extra butter instead of salt

c) Use whole grain, eat fruits and vegetables for snacks, and use skim or 1 % milk

Um....I'll go with B? Sure sounds good doesn't it. Mmmmmm....cookies.



I chose to do some courses on back pain and really enjoyed watching the videos and getting some tips on stretches. There are several classes to chose from and they range from a few weeks to 12 weeks. It can be pretty individualized based on what health criteria you are looking for. They had smoking secession and hearth health to name a few. You also have the option to speak to a health coach or a personal trainer. I'm very impressed with the Thrive Idaho site and I am glad I have taken part in it.


No comments: