8/19/14

The Gardening Wind Chime

Grandma A. loved to garden. When she had her home in Melba you would often find her outside in the garden or tending to her many roses that lined the property. When she moved into my parents house she was living in the downstairs area. Later when her mobility started to weaken and she wasn't able to walk the stairs as easily she was moved to the upstairs formal living room. On a visit to Cracker Barrel I spotted a gardening wind chime that I knew was perfect for Grandma A. Dad hung it on the side of the curtain rod where she could see it everyday.

After she passed away the upstairs living room was returned to its original form and her electronic bed was moved out. My Mom offered me the gardening wind chime as I had been the one to give it to her. Grandma A.'s wind chime has hung on our back porch for the last five years. Every time the wind picks up and I hear its tune I think of Grandma A.

Imagine my surprise when I spotted the gardening wind chime on the ground. After five years of making beautiful sounds part of the strings had given out. I collected all the pieces thinking I would take it apart and put it into a keepsake box. Then I realized there was probably a way to re-string it. After a quick Google search (isn't Google great) we were back in business! Kenyon bought me some fishing line and I carefully took apart each strand, re-stringing the beads and metal pieces, and putting it back together.



Once again I can think of Grandma A. when I hear her wind chime dangling in the breeze.

No comments: