8/6/14

Gourmet Night At Flying Pie Pizza

We met my friend Phoenix and her husband Mike at Flying Pie Pizza so they could try the Habanero pizza, which has become quite famous since Adam Richman from “Man vs. Food” came to Boise. I'm a weenie when it comes to hot stuff so Kenyon and I took part in the Tuesday Gourmet Night pizza buffet. For $8.50 you get all-you-can-eat pizza, salad, and breadsticks. Flying Pie also has several of their usual pizzas on the rotation during Gourmet Night.

The pizza offered at Gourmet Night changes each week and yesterday's selection was:
Falafel (which I wanted to try but had too many onions)
My Big Fat Greek Samoan (which was good)
Buffalo Chicken (also good)
Vegy Taco (really good)
Ruben (not interested and didn't try)
Xena: Warrior Princess (which was AWESOME)



"Xena: Warrior Princess: Mix of Alfredo and pesto sauces, classic mozzarella, load on the mushrooms, black olives, red roasted peppers, and top it with cream cheese and fresh garlic."

"My Big Fat Greek Samoan: A Mediterranean twist on our regular Samoan. Custom red sauce, Canadian bacon, provolone, cheddar, and Gouda cheese. Then we add Mandarin orange slices and almond slices on top."

 "Vegy Taco: Vegetarian refried beans, mozzarella and cheddar. After cooking it's topped with fresh lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, and crushed corn chips."


"Buffalo Chicken: BBQ sauce topped with wpicy chicken, celery, mozzarella, and blue cheese."


 I shared some of the pizza with Kenyon and didn't eat all the crust so I could try each kind. I also made two trips to the salad bar.


I had a bit of room left so I waited until another Xena: Warrior Princess pizza came out as it was my favorite. I was gluttonous and had two slices. That was my signal I was done.
 

 I tasted the dessert pizza but it wasn't good and I was satisfied so I didn't eat it. This had mint, raspberries, and mint Oreos. Weird and gross.




We ate our buffet while waiting for the main event, the Habanero pizza.



Every August Flying Pie Pizza offers a pizza made with Habanero peppers. This is such an epic pizza it is only offered once a year and they even count down to the event. Man vs. Food came to Boise last year and placed us on the map. 

Our fresh habanero peppers come from the Yucatan Peninsula in Southern Mexico and are much hotter than the common habaneros available at the grocery store. We offer a Single, Double or Triple Habanero Pizza, depending on the level of adventure you’re seeking. With a variety of antidotes, we guarantee your safe return to life as you currently experience it.”

"The Habanero: special red sauce, cornmeal, mozzarella, chicken, olives, and just the right amount of habaneros. The cornmeal soaks up the flavors from the chicken, olives, and habanerso and carries the rich flavors throughout the pie."



Such a tiny pizza packs a BIG punch!

It comes in three different heat options:
Single: Approximately six fresh habanero peppers, the heat equivalent of five pounds of jalapeños.
Double: Approximately twelve fresh habanero peppers, the heat equivalent of ten pounds of jalapeños.
Triple: Approximately 18 fresh habanero peppers, the heat equivalent of fifteen pounds of jalapeños. Adam Richman of Man vs. Food was quoted saying “It's like licking a sea urchin” after just one bite.

Phoenix and Mike ordered an 8 inch single pie. We were reading the instructions on the table with tips for eating a Habanero pizza. It suggested you should cut the pizza instead of bringing slice to your lips due to the oils in the pepper. It was decided I would try one bite of Phoenix's pizza.

Ready....set....go!



Hmmmmm....



SLOW BURN! The burn is so delayed that you actually chew and swallow before it hits you. WOW. All I can say is there is no way I could have continued to eat more than just one bite all at one time. It is HOT.  They even offer ice cream to help cool your tastebuds.



I was rewarded with a t-shirt, even though I only took one bite. Ha!


No comments: