8/9/14

Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas

I made chicken enchiladas as an easy meal to take to work one night. I love enchiladas and these were 10x as good thanks to the star of the show.

I was never a fan of green chile or really put any in my food. Then I met Kenyon who was raised in New Mexico. There is a joke that when you say you are from New Mexico the first thing somebody asked is “green or red.” New Mexico is home of the chile pepper and green chile or red chile is served on almost anything, even the hamburgers at McDonalds.

One of the best things is adding green chile to a cook-at-home pizza. I can also thank Kenyon for introducing me to that one.

I found Hatch Green Chile Enchilada Sauce at Albertson's a few weeks ago and picked up several cans. It was expensive compared to other brands but Hatch means it is authentic New Mexico chile. I loved the flavor of this sauce. It was better than other brands I've tried.

I'm not really a fan of soggy second-day enchiladas so I made just two in a loaf pan. I started by cooking a big 'ol crockpot of chicken, which I shredded. I mixed 3 oz shredded chicken, 65g canned pinto beans, 28 g Mexican shredded cheese, and ¼ cup enchilada sauce. I put the filling into two whole wheat tortillas, rolled, placed into my loaf pan, and topped with another ¼ cup sauce.



Into the oven at 375 for about 20-25 minutes. It was delicious.




These two enchiladas with 32 g light sour cream on top is 12 PPVs. I know that seems like a lot for just one meal. I have on other occasions eaten only one enchilada and added some quinoa cooked in salsa as a side item. However, I just eating like two enchiladas. It is very hearty and filling.  

No comments: