8/13/14

35 On The Horizon


I remember as a kid giving my parents such grief over getting older.  After all, when you are a young teenager 50 seems "sooooo old."

It was exciting turning 18 but I think I enjoyed turning 21 even more.  It felt like I was finally an adult, despite the silly decisions I made after acquiring my first credit card.  Offering college students a free T-shirt for opening a credit card is a poor idea.  We went out to pizza with my family on my 21st birthday.  We had this pizza tradition every year/birthday while I was growing up.  My grandpa was so excited to buy me a beer, which was actually free, on my 21st birthday.

I struggled a little bit when I turned 25.  It is this odd phase in life where you aren’t 21 anymore and worse yet you aren’t even early 20’s anymore.  You are now moving towards late 20’s.  It was the last time I remember ever dreading aging.

I LOVE my birthday.  





I always get comments and grumbles from people who aren’t happy about getting older.  To me age is only a number.  Once I joined WW I realized how much of my life I have left and that I need to not take any of it for granted.  It was like all of a sudden I was finally living and I had to make up for some lost time.

As I sit on the cusp of turning 35 I am again remembering that I am no longer in my early 30’s and soon I will be in my late 30’s.  My friends are in their late 30’s so it is a fun club to be in.  I am always shocked to realize how fast time passes.  It is fun to think about life down the road and what 40s, 50s, 60s, etc will be like.  I can’t wait to grow old with my husband.

However, I’m not ready for time to pass quite that fast.  We have many places to travel and many sites to see.  That doesn’t mean you won’t see me counting down my birthday on Facebook.  It’s a tradition I had with Grandma A that I’m not going to give up.

No comments: