1/25/21

Chocolate Donuts

I had a hankering for something sweet the other night and remembered I had spotted a chocolate donut recipe that I saved for later.  I happen to own a mini donut maker so I revisited this recipe from Drizzle Me Skinny for her Chocolate Glazed Donuts and figured with some modifications of what I had on hand at home, I could make us some donuts.  



They turned out pretty well and are low-points too.





I don’t keep milk in the house since neither of us drink it regularly.  The first substitution I needed to try was adding Premiere Protein in place of the milk.  I know you can do this with sugar free pudding, but it always makes it really thick.  In this recipe, it worked just fine.  I used the Cafe Latte flavor.


While the recipe calls for only 2 Tbs of sugar, I knew I wanted to substitute the sugar for Swerve, a sugar substitute that is good for baking.  This also allows them to be better for Kenyon and reduces the points.  The last two times I have baked with Swerve, we felt like it was just not quite sweet enough.  I may consider adding 1/2 Tbs regular sugar and 2 Tbs Swerve although next time I think they could use some chocolate frosting so that would amp up the sweetness with some points addition too.


Lastly, I wanted to try grounding up Quaker Oats vs. using the flour.  I have no problem using flour and taking the points for them.  I am also thinking that grounding up oats into flour consistency changes the breakdown and thus it isn’t technically a Purple Plan zero point food.  I decided to try the ground up oats and tracked them in the recipe as oats vs. oat flour.  I’ll need look at what else is in oat flour the next time I am at the store and compare.  If you don’t feel comfortable counting this as zero points, than factor in the points for 1/2 cup oat flour and go with that.


The result, the mixture was a bit runny.  I’m not sure if this was because of the oats vs. the flour.  The donuts cooked up just fine but were small and thin.  The baking powder also didn’t mix in really well on the first batch.  I added more oat flour as I had ground up extra to make sure I had 1/2 a cup and that seemed to help make the batter thicker. 





Either way, they tasted really good but not very sweet.  I added some sugar free whip cream and really do think they needed a glaze or some frosting.  I didn’t have confection sugar on hand so I couldn’t make the glaze.  I knew Swerve also sells that variety so I might need to pick some up at the store.


Drizzle Me Skinny has a lot of great donut recipes that I am eager to try now that I don’t feel I need to buy a donut pan.  My recipe was able to make four batches of seven mini donuts (the amount the maker has spots for).  So, I tracked this recipe as four servings, seven donuts in a serving.


Enjoy!


No comments: