5/17/16

Don't Get Further Behind The Ball


Is it only Tuesday?  This feels like a very long week so far.  I am excited for Thursday which is when Dawny will come to town and then us and three of my other friends are all going to Walla Walla, WA for a girls weekend of fun in wine country.  I am really looking forward to it!

In prep for our trip I had a pedicure yesterday (from drab toes to fab toes) and will get my hair cut today.  I gotta look my best when I’m drinking wine.  Ha!

I know it is a really bad idea to put off getting back on track until AFTER a vacation.  However, that is kind of where I’m at right now.  I was doing so well in getting my food in check prior to moving in with my parents a couple of weeks ago.  I am not going to lie, it is a big challenge not having control of your own environment.

I know that I always have control over what I put into my mouth, even if I don’t have control over what is being cooked or served.  The biggest challenge has been the nightly dessert service and the frequent happy hour.  Both my sugar consumption and my alcohol consumption have increased since we moved in at my parent’s house.  That is problem number one.

I am a social drinker and I don’t drink at home by myself.  Perhaps if Kenyon was a drinker then I might consume alcohol on a regular basis.  Since moving in with my parents, it is really easy to have a beer while we relax before dinner.  Just the evening commute home last night (45 minutes) had me wanting a drink the minute I walked through the door.  I’m not drinking to excess and I’m not drinking every day.  However, this is a challenge that isn’t going to make weight loss any easier.

Sugar/dessert is always available at my parent’s house.  I do pretty well avoiding it even when I am staring at it on the kitchen counters.  But the dessert service after our evening dinner meals does make it hard to resist.  I’m staying focused on just having a little but a little each day still adds up.  I’m still working through getting this back under control.

The only other hang up right now is just the general meals and how they are prepared.  When you are in your own kitchen and preparing your own meals, you have the luxury of weighing and measuring all the ingredients and controlling what oils you use and how much.  Mom often prepares more food than needed so I am trying to utilize the leftovers as easy meals the next day at work.  If I’m not careful, I’m getting a bit too much excess too frequently.  And…the food is yummy.  It is way yummier than the bland food I prepare for myself. 

These are all challenges that aren’t impossible, just difficult.  Having a plan is always the best approach and off-setting my higher calorie meals with lighter breakfast and lunches will also help. 
Exercise is key and I need to get back into an exercise routine.  I need to get myself better organized on how to combat these next few months.  If I don’t…then I’ll be even further behind the ball than I already am!

No comments: