1/30/18

Low Calorie Ice Cream That Won’t Break The Points Budget

Until recently, Arctic Zero was the only low calorie ice cream on the market that you could eat the phone pint and not feel guilty.  Since then, Halo Top came out and now you can find many others.  Whenever I spot a new kind on the shelf, I am tempted to fork out the money for the over priced tag and try it out.  The biggest downside is spending $5 when it isn’t good!

As with everybody, tastes and flavors appeal to each differently.  Some out there love Premier Protein shakes where I prefer the chocolate Muscle Milk.  To each their own.  Last week at Albertson’s I picked up a Halo Top S’mores flavor and I really liked it.  That might be my go-to with the small bits of chocolate chip and the overall flavor of ice cream is tasty.




I almost picked up a Red Velvet tonight at Fred Meyer because I’m pretty sure that is yummy too but decided to try the new Skinny Cow version, which I recently spotted.




If I am comparing texture alone, Skinny Cow is the clear winner.  It is the most ice cream consistency of the four brands I’ve tried.  Just like with any of them, you do have to let them met a bit before eating.  This pint was easy to spoon after the short drive home from the store.

The other two I’ve tried, were my least favorite.  The base part of the ice cream for Breyer’s delights was not good.  I had somebody say the chocolate was good, which I didn’t like the chocolate Halo Top so I’d be willing to try it.  But again, it’s pretty expensive.  




The Low Cow is a Fred Meyer brand ice cream and is comparable to Halo Top but I think unless you want lower cost, Halo Top was better tasting.  




These are just my thoughts of sweet treats that won’t break your points plus budget and don’t overwhelm me with that yucky sugar feeling after.  And, you can’t beat the fact that a whole pint of Ben & Jerry’s is 54 points but a whole pint of one of these is on average 15 points.  Pretty good when the craving strikes to sit down to your favorite movie with your feet up and a pint of ice cream.


The biggest hang up for me is the price but I’m willing to pay $5 to have a controlled points treat.  I hate spending that much money to find out it isn’t tasty.  I never feel like I can return the ice cream I didn’t like just because of taste.  But...one never knows what you can exchange these days.

No comments: