6/21/18

Items That Make Traveling Easier


I’ve traveled quite a bit over the last year and each time I travel it gives me an opportunity to perfect my packing before our Europe trip.

 


Here are some things that make my travel much easier:

TSA Pre-Check – After my recent trip to Spokane and seeing the long lines at TSA at both the Boise and Spokane airports, I was really glad I had my pre-check status.  Kenyon is the one that learned about TSA Pre-Check a few years ago and the cost has paid for itself many time over.  If you are a frequent flyer, you should apply.  We had to pay $85, get finger printed, and have a background check run.  But, it was totally worth it.  You can learn more about TSA Pre-Check and how it can benefit you by visiting their website.


Packing Carry-On Only – Kenyon and I started practicing our carry-on only packing skills in preparation for our New York City/New England Cruise trip last September.  We knew we wanted to pack carry-on only for Europe and wanted to practice during a longer trip that included both land, sea, and car travel.  The best part about carry-on only is that you don’t have to mess with waiting at baggage claim or worrying about lost luggage.  One other plus is that you aren’t juggling large sized bags.  Just make sure you don’t overstuff your carry-on size.  When you travel you only need the basics.  I was an over-packer for years!  Making sure the items in your carry-on are low in weight is also key.  You don’t want to throw out your back lugging around a carry-on suitcase that is busting at the seams.  I practice each time I travel and I am always updating my packing list for Europe so I can perfect that before we leave.

The Right Kind Of Luggage – If you are going to pack carry-on only, you need to have the right size/shape bag.  When I first started practicing with my Eagle Creek Load Warrior bag, it was discouraging.  It is so hard to learn how to pack small and what packing tools will help ease that frustration.  I was thankful to the ladies at Shapiro, our local travel store in the mall, as well as the numerous packing videos we watched and the Rick Steve’s tips.  Kenyon suggested we order the Rick Steve’s Rolling Backpack, which would allow us to have both the backpack straps and the wheels.  This has turned out to be a great bag not only for the combo ability but also the shape of the bag.  My load warrior didn’t open all the way and I didn’t get the full use out of the bag.  The rolling backpack opens up square and I can access the entire suitcase.  One downside is that I feel like I can stuff the rolling backpack more than I could the load warrior so I’ll need to make sure I keep the weight of my bag down for Europe.  International travel requirements are much stricter than domestic travel.

Using Eagle Creek Packing Folders I’ve been using packing folders for a few years now and highly recommend it for carry-on only travel. Your clothes fold up small and stay compact the entire trip.  It also makes your suitcase easy to organize if you have different colored folders and/or different sizes.  There is also packing cubes that work well too. 


Rick Steve’s Veloce Guide Bag – This bag has been perfect for traveling with my iPad.  I have an iPad Pro 9 inch with Apple Keyboard.  I like having my iPad while I travel for watching movies and also for reading books.  I will sometimes blog on the go and the full sized keyboard is very handy.  Plus, the keyboard uses the power off the iPad and doesn’t need a separate cord for charging.  I have found that many shoulder bags make my bag feel heavy and pretty soon, my shoulder starts to ache.  After watching a Rick Steve’s travel show where Sarah demonstrated the items she uses, it seemed worth the price.  We also had a 20% off sale discount.  I have been very happy with this bag.  It fits my iPad perfectly in the padded pocket and isn’t heavy like my other travel bags.  I have not yet used the second zip feature with gives you a little more room in the bag.  This bag is tiny in width but it keeps me from putting in all the items that did weight in down.  I like the sunglass holder and the zip pockets, which keep my passport, wallet, and cellphone secure.  It is comfortable to wear in the front where I can keep an eye on it or in the back when I am in a less crowded area.  This will be my go-to travel bag until it falls apart on me and I can’t order another one.



Having A Water Bottle – We were stuck on the tarmac in Phoenix several years ago for quite a while and I was so thirsty.  The flight attendants finally gave us some water but they ran out before they got to my row.  That sure felt like being in a desert and seeing the mirage of the water ahead of you.  When we landed in New Mexico and I was telling my Aunt Barb about our experience, she said she never goes anywhere without her Contigo insulated water bottle.  I like the Contigo Fit because I don’t want to mess with cleaning a straw.  I even left mine on the plane once and thankfully, it was at the Boise Airport so I could re-claim it. 

Packing A Projection Clock – Until I met Kenyon, I didn’t know projection clocks existed.  Since then, we are hooked.  There is nothing better than waking up, glancing at the ceiling or wall, and seeing the time vs. searching the room for a tiny clock.  When we travel, especially on cruise ships, there are usually no clocks in your state room.  So, we started traveling with a projection clock and eventually Kenyon found one that is the perfect travel size and uses a USB cord instead of batteries.

Duluth Trading Company’s Armachillo Shirts – My most recent find, and a favorite after my Spokane trip, is a particular shirt from Duluth Trading Company.  These Armachillo cooling long sleeved and short sleeved shirts feel so comfy and soft.  The long sleeved shirt was perfect for mid-70s temps and is what I plan to take to Europe.  I also got three short sleeved ones, which I wore to Silverwood Theme Park.  They keep you cool so when temps are cool, they don’t keep you really warm.  But, what I love about the long sleeved shirt is that I can just push the sleeves up my arms if I am feeling warm.  That way I don’t have to pack around a separate jacket if it is suddenly overcast.  They wash easily and dry quickly.  And the best part is they are very light and pack down really small, which is perfect for carry-on only travel.  It is hard not to busy several more so I have a variety because they are a bit expensive.  And, the plan for carry-on only packing is that you have to wear your clothes more than once and sink wash if needed.  These shirts should be perfect for that.

A Nite Lite For The Bathroom – Kenyon recently suggested carrying a nite lite with us when we travel since some hotel bathrooms can be really dark if you have to tinkle in the middle of the night.  He found these awesome small/flat lights that sick out from the wall in hopes of being more noticeable when you are packing up to go home and won’t leave it behind.  We have used them on two trips now and they are a great little light.  I carry it in my toiletry bag and I plug it in/take it out each day so I don’t risk forgetting it. 

These are just a few items that make traveling easier for me.

No comments: