12/18/13

How My FitBit Zip Is Making Me Work For It


I have had my FitBit for about two weeks now.  The first week wasn’t a full week since it arrived onWendesday.

Here is my first week’s progress report:

Total Steps 41,480

Total Distance: 19.94 miles

Total Calories Burned: 11,390


And week two’s progress report:

Total Steps 69,840

Total Distance 33.38 miles

Total Calories burned: 16,145

I still have no idea how it is figuring my calorie burn but it does factor in my actual active steps/time and when I exercise it is pretty accurate.  I think overall when I exercise it is also accurate with my mileage.  I know the FitBit can pick up other movement and vibration.  I am using this as one more tool so I am not really focused on the numbers.

I have noticed wearing the FitBit has encouraged me to get more steps in throughout the day.  I really strive for 10,000 steps each day.  Working graveyard has made it harder to get my steps in. It resets at midnight and I get home at 6am. I wake up around 4pm and head back to work at 8pm. So unless I actually exercise, and even that doesn’t always get up to 10,000 steps in a day, then I need to find these little ways to increase my daily mileage.
Ways I have been getting in extra steps:

·        At work I will empty the trash cans by walking each of the eight cans one-by-one to the big trash can.

·        I will take the “long way” around the consoles when I am going to the bathroom or to the break room.  I will also bring individual food items to the console when I am ready for my lunch break if I am waiting for something in the microwave.

·        I didn’t mind parking far out at the mall, which is typical this time of year, since I knew I would get some extra steps.

·        I have walked around Costco a little further extra when needing to avoid the huge sample area traffic jams.

·        I  have talked myself into exercising because I knew I needed to get in my 10,000 steps and that would be the only way I can.

·        I  have walked extra distances because my FitBit friends can see my weeekly mileage total and they are BLOWING me out of the water compared to the amount of steps they walk (I am jealous oh mighty walkers).

I really love my FitBit.  One morning I forgot to put it on because Kenyon was sleeping and I got dressed in the dark.  Thanks to Nichole, who mentioned my FitBit on the WW message boards, I then remembered I didn’t have it on.  This was a day off where I was going to be out of the house most of the day.  Just think of the steps I would have missed out on!

No comments: