12/21/13

My Tips For Holiday Parties


It is that time of year again.  Parties, potlucks, family get-togethers, and more parties.  Food…food…food!

We had our dispatch center potluck and Secret Santa reveal yesterday.  I love potlucks because I love all the variety of foods.  We had meat and cheese trays, soups, chili, cheese ball, crackers, beef summer sausage, layered bean dip, and desserts.
 
 
 
 


These are my tips for navigating a holiday party or event. 

Never Arrive Hungry:  You don’t have to eat a full meal before you go but it is never a good idea to show up to a party or food event hungry.  It can be a recipe for disaster.  I also find that sometimes when I try to eat super light through the day I am just over all more hungry.  I would rather eat a regular meal and use some WPPAs or APs for the party then be miserable all day.

Look Over All The Options Before Filling Your Plate:  I use this technique at buffets.  When there is a potluck and all the yummy food is in front of you, take a few moments to survey what is there.  Decide what is worth the PPVs and what isn’t.  I brought the cheese ball, crackers, and beef summer sausage.  You better believe this worth it!  I also had some ham and cheese on the side (x2 unpictured) and a few more cheese and crackers (unpictured.  I also had some chili with chips and sour cream.
 
 
 
Make Room For Homemade:  I LOVE desserts.  But I don’t want to waste my time with store bought desserts or prepared salads I could have any day of the week.  If I am at a potluck I want the homemade desert.  I try to take a small portion of one, or a few, and enjoy each and every bite.  Potlucks often have really yummy desserts.  Don’t waste your time on store bought ones.  I had three of the pecan pie bars that my cowoker made.  It was easy to pass up the store bought cookies.

 


Take Small Bites Of What You Really Want:  If you really want something, have it!  Take a small portion and savor it.  You don’t have to go into a potluck with an all or nothing attitude thinking you can ONLY have one or two things.  I love to take small bits of lots of food and count it as 2 or 3 PPVs.  Sure, the PPVs can add up quick but my taste buds are satisfied.

Alternate Alcoholic Beverages With Water or Non-Alcoholic Beverages:  I try to take a small pour of wine so I feel like I am drinking a few glasses but not going way over PPVs.  And unless you have a designated driver, slow down on the cocktails, beer, and wine.  I love to drink in social situations but I also make sure I drink plenty of water as well.

Have Fun And Socialize:  Remember most reasons for a potluck or a holiday party is to get together and socialize.  It doesn’t have to all be about food.  If you show up early and the food isn’t ready then chew some gum, drink some wine, and socialize.  If the food is set up in the kitchen then socialize in a different room.  Food is fun but so is just sitting and visiting with family, friends, and coworkers.  And, if you don’t know everybody it gives you a good excuse to meet some new people.
 
If All Else Fails, Balance It Out: So you ate more dessert (ahem, pecan pie bars) then you planned on.  So what?  Just balance it out with the rest of your week.  Get in some extra activity or eat a little lighter the next day.  The one thing you don’t want to do is punch yourself for going over your PPVs.  It is a party.  Usually just one event and one day.  Track it and move on!

No comments: