12/8/13

My New Toy


I got a new toy!!!
 


I was super impressed with Danielle’s FitBit when we went to Las Vegas.  It showed we walked 10 miles the first day alone! 

The FitBit is a small device that fits into a pocket or bra and tracks your all day movement.  There are low end and high end models and some even track your sleep cycles.

I went for the FitBit Zip, of course in a fun color!  It is very small and has a super strong clip.



 The Zip only tracks my steps per day and also my calories and actual active movement.  I am not sure how it is figuring the calories.  I think it might just be a baseline for my height and weight?  I don’t know.  It also knows when I have actual active movement vs just everyday movement.  Again, not sure how this works but it seems pretty accurate and matched up with the same time as when I actually did my workout at the Y.  It also converts your steps to miles, which is the part I am looking forward to.

I can’t wait to test this baby out on our Hawaiian vacation to see how much walking we do at the port and on the ship. (Just five more weeks!!!)

I attached my new Zip to the inside of my bra and walked to the bathroom at work.  I then put it in my pocket to see if it read differently on the way back.  No difference.  It is 29 steps from the console to the bathroom.

The first day I activated my Zip I didn’t log many steps as I activated it late in the day and didn’t actually exercise.  As expected my workdays will most likely show a lot less steps then my days off.  My first time using it at the Y, however, I earned smiley faces showing I logged a good amount of steps, over 10,000, and I also had some actual active movement.

I hardly notice it is in my bra and the Zip is sweat proof and splash proof.  I feel it is safer in my bra because I am less likely to just throw it into the hamper with a pair of jeans.  I also have remembered it put it on each morning unlike when I have had a pedometer in the past.

The FitBit app is easy to use and navigate and my FitBit syncs wireless whenever I open the app.  You can also log your food and it will give you your calorie deficit at the end of the day.

For now, I am using my FitBit to log my steps and see the amount of miles walked.  I’ll report in how it goes as I wear it more.  So far, I really like it.  It was on sale for $48 with Black Friday so I am glad I finally went for it.

No comments: