5/20/17

Sharing Blog Posts From My Weight Loss Journey: How To Cope With A Large Weight Loss


I’m sharing old blog post from my weight loss journey when I blogged on another site:

November 18, 2009

How To Cope With A Large Weight Loss

Where do you find the books that explain how you are to cope with a large weight loss? I’ve come to realize that nothing can prepare a person for it. There isn’t anything out there to explain what happens once the weight is gone. There is no guidance on how you start seeing yourself as this new “thin” person. Where do you find the instructions on how you now keep this weight off that you worked so hard to take off? And when do you actually start to see past the excess skin, muffin top, and arm flab?? 

This is what has been on my mind. I’ve realized that in the short time it has taken me to lose this weight that it will take me the rest of my life to perfect these new skills I have developed. I am very lucky that I had a lot of weight to lose. I had time to learn and develop new eating habits. I don’t struggle with the fast food drive-ins or the temptations of eating out when I’ve already brought my lunch to work. I am in control of food. And it feels great. Yet there are still times I struggle. There are times that I still feel “fat.” There are times that I just wish this darn muffin top would go away. The new book I am reading is “Half-Assed: a weight-loss memoir” by Jannette Fulda. Jannette lost 190 pounds and her story is just entertaining and empowering!!! I love books like this. 

At our WW meeting we have been discussing the upcoming Thanksgiving Holiday and all the food that is sure to be served. Tricks and tips on how to get through the day and what the points values are of the foods. My leader, Sheliah, this week asked, “How many of you are thankful for Weight Watchers?” I am thankful everyday for WW because without it I would not be the person that I am today. All I can think about is the years upon years that I made sure to wear my elastic waistband pants to the Thanksgiving dinner in hopes of getting “all I could eat.” Wow, am I even more thankful now for WW that I don’t even view food as that important anymore. 

These last few weeks have been a struggle. I’ve been trying really hard to get back into exercise and my foot is still hurting me. I was 0.2 pounds away from getting my 140 lb star and marking that next milestone. It doesn’t get any easier. These last 10 pounds I’ve got on me could take quite some time to lose. I’m still trying to decide where I want to be and I continue to remind myself of where I came from. I’ve put my body through a lot these past almost-three years. I’ve come a very long way and I plan to continue to keep the weight off. I have to. I don’t want to go back and as I said before, food isn’t just that important to me. 

So….onward. To another Thanksgiving Feast!

No comments: