2/7/19

Jealousy Is An Ugly Color


I went to the gym class last night that I’d not been able to attend due to my work hours.  This was the same gym class where the instructor, Heather, had weight loss surgery last year.


I was so jealous.

I wanted weight loss surgery immediately.

We chatted after class with her a bit.  She has lost 106 pounds and since she hasn’t lost any weight over the last month, she thinks she is has entered maintenance.  After complimenting her on how great she looked and how her hard work had paid off.  She shared that this surgery was life changing and before she had it, she was close to a heart attack, stroke, or both. 

Clearly jealously is such an ugly color.

I know she worked hard at her weight loss even if the pounds dropped off quickly.  I know she still had struggles, good days, and bad days.  And, I know she will still have struggles, good days, and bad days while in maintenance.  I don’t ever want to let my mind think that weight loss is the easy and quick fix because I know from those that have gone through it that it is just as difficult as other weight loss programs.

Heather is quite tall and with her exercising, she looks very lean.  Of course, like many women who have lost a large amount of weight, she told us she had loose skin she could show us.  Ha!  Don’t I know those struggles. 

Watching Heather instruct class last night (i.e. staring in disbelief the entire time) I saw the same Heather I have known for a few months now.  She was very encouraging to the new members and while she doesn’t modify her moves 100% like she did pre-surgery, she was showing those that needed modifications what to do with a huge smile on her face.  She is such a kind soul and I really enjoy seeing her at the gym.

 


It also motivates me to work harder and continue to stay focused on my weight loss goals.  Having a vision of what reclaiming my 100 pounds lost will look like helps to drive me forward.  There are days it is exhausting and days I don’t want to meal plan/prep/eat what I planned.  Thankfully those days are few and far between.  Back in 2016 when I reached my all-time highest re-gain weight of 253, the good days were few and far between.

It is really easy to fall into that trap of being jealous of somebody else and their success.  Hopefully, somehow, you can adjust your focus and continue on the path that will allow you to reach your goals.  You can’t sit on the side lines wishing you had the success that somebody else has.  You have to work hard and reach for it.

You Got This!

No comments: