4/23/13

Strawberry (or any other kind) Jello

I am going to share with you my very favorite summertime potluck party food that I take to almost all events!  The best part of this jello is the WHOLE BOWL is just 3 PPVs!

This recipe is super easy and only takes four ingredients:




 
  • One SMALL box of sugar-free fat-free cook and serve vanilla pudding (not instant)
  • One LARGE box of sugar-free fat-free any flavored jello
  • Four cups water (in the photo is just 2 cups)
  • Strawberries, or any other kind of canned or fresh fruit (frozen didn’t work)

**I have only made this jello with sugar-free fat-free pudding and jello.  I am not sure if it would work with the full sugar variety.  If you chose to make it with the full sugar variety, just count the PPVs accordingly.**


Do not follow the recipe on the jello or pudding boxes.  Follow the instructions


Pour four cups of water into a sauce pan and whisk in the pudding.  The pudding must be the cook and serve variety, not instant.  Heat over medium to high heat until “warm and bubbly" stirring occasionally so it doesn't burn.


The warm and bubbly part is hard.  I don’t have a really good way to explain when you know it is cooked enough.  It will turn a little transulant.  I have never had the jello taste any different if it isn’t cooked as long.  The only difference is that the pudding sort of settles below the jello when it all cools in the fridge.


Once your pudding is warm and bubbly, whisk in the jello and stir until dissolved.







Pour the jello/pudding mix into a bowl.  I let it sit on my counter and cool for a little bit before I add in my fruit.  This helps to avoid the fruit floating to the top.




Place in the fridge uncovered overnight so it can set up.


The PPVs would be determined by the NI for the mix alone.  Your box of jello is 1 PPV and your box of pudding is 2 PPVs.  Since the water and strawberry are 0 PPVs, this makes the whole bowl just 3 PPVs.

You can try any flavor of jello and any flavor of fruit.  I have not had any luck with frozen fruit setting up properly.  I would stick to canned or fresh fruit.

Enjoy!

No comments: