2/3/14

Detour: Road Work Ahead



This is what the sings read all over the area around our house.  We are under construction as they widen a major roadway.  While it is difficult to have to “put up” with the detours and the extra time needed to get somewhere it will be 100% worth it in the end.  One thing is certain; once construction is completed it will be so much easier to navigate traffic.

Isn’t that just like weight loss?  The detours (set-backs) and the extra time needed to get the weight off (“I ONLY lost 0.2 pounds”) will be worth it in the end.  Once you complete your weight loss journey you will not only feel better but you will be able to navigate your life better.

Weight loss is only the first step to living a happier life.  And if you are struggling with other stuff besides just being overweight it will not all get better just because you drop some pounds.  However, weight loss can be very motivating to change other area of your life that might be less than par.

Is it difficult?  Absolutely.

Are there times you will want to quit?  You bet.

Will this get easier?  Some of it will.

Will I be finished when I reach goal?  Sadly, no.

Can I find the strength in myself to push past detours and road construction along the path to a healthier lifestyle?  YES!  You can do this.  I know you can.

This road construction is not only an annoyance for trying to go anywhere east of our neighborhood but it also affects my ability to get to my WW meeting.  In order to get to my meeting I have to either a) do some major weaving through a nearby neighborhood, b) wait for a clearing in westbound traffic to get across another major roadway, or c) go the long way around until I reach my WW location.

I guess there is also a choice d) quit going, but that was never even an option. 
I love this particular WW meeting location, members, and leader.  I am not about to quit going!  However, if road constriction made it almost impossible to get there then I would just find another meeting location.  Quitting NEVER gets you results.

So, what type of construction is in the way of you reaching your goals?

No comments: