2/12/14

My Love Of Frozen Yogurt


I have always been an ice cream fan.  I really enjoy it and it can make the best dessert.  Even when you are full there is always a little room for ice cream.

I also love frozen yogurt.  I used to read blog posts of frozen yogurt places where you get to pick your kind and add your own toppings.  Talk about fancy!  We only had TCBY and you had a choice of one type of yogurt and had to pay extra for toppings.  There was a yogurt shop called Golden Spoon that included one topping with your yogurt selection.  I really liked that place and then it went out of business.

Aspen Leaf Yogurt was the first yogurt shop to come to town where you could try all the flavors, pick as many as you like, and you could put whatever toppings you wanted on top.  Then you put it on the scale and pay the per ounce price.  My first experience cost me over $6.00.  Whoops!  Those fruit topping really add up in weight.


Since then several yogurt shops have opened up offering the same exciting experience.  I figured out quickly that unless I wanted to spend a lot of money I had better go easy on the fruit toppings!  Like with any other eating out venture I have my favorites.  It is often fruit with the occasional addition of coconut, almonds, and mini chocolate chips or just Reese’s peanut butter cup.  Last week I compromised by having a little bit of Reese’s and a lot of fruit!

I try to be conservative with my yogurt pour but it can be difficult to stop at just a little.  I do love ice cream/yogurt after all!  Most frozen yogurt will run you 1 PPV per ounce.  If you want to they will let you weigh it before you put your toppings on.  If it is a no-sugar-added kind then it could be as little as 1 PPV per two ounces.  When in doubt go with the one-one counting.

My two favorite yogurt shops, Aspen Leaf Yogurt and USwirl, have Facebook pages that offer deals.  $3 and $4 all-you-can-fill yogurt deals are AWESOME!  That is when I can pack on the fruit.  Or when I get a full punch card and earn a free yogurt.  Yeehaaaaw!


It was $3 all-you-can-fill day last Thursday at USwirl.  I decided to get my favorite yogurt kind, caramel, and my favorite topping, Reese’s.  And boy did I fill it all I could!  My plan was to eat it little by little through the week storing it hidden in the freezer.  I can’t have something I see every time I open the fridge or freezer or I remember I want it.  So I hid it behind some stuff in the freezer.

It worked really well.  I am going to be really honest with you.  Most times I know I undercount my yogurt PPVs.  So by eating on my yogurt slowly I probably counted more accuratley with the individual servings than if I had eaten the whole thing in one sitting.  To be fair I would not have gotten as much yogurt or Reese’s if it was something I was eating right away. 


I dished up some of yogurt in a separate dish each time I had some instead of eating a few spoonfuls straight from the yogurt carton.  I didn’t weigh the portions but I thought I was counting fair with 3PPV or 4 PPV each time.  There might have been very little yogurt but there was still a good amount of Reese’s.

I split up my WPPAs into seven points each day and that really helped me to enjoy my frozen yogurt after dinner.  Knowing I had the possibility of eating frozen yogurt I also didn’t crave sugar as much after my lunch meals.  It was just about a choice of something now or something later.  I also meant I wasn’t craving something “sugary and yummy” after my WI day like I usually do.

Okay, now I want some frozen yogurt!

No comments: