12/18/17

On The Cusp Of An 11-Year Journey


Around this time, eleven years ago, I know something in my life had to change. 
 

My sister and I had been on a trip for our first time to Las Vegas.  I could barely get the seatbelt to buckle and I thought I’d have to fake it when the flight attendant came by to check.  I was miserable the entire time we were walking around Vegas.  I had desperately hoped that all the walking we did would pay off and the seatbelt would buckle better on the return flight home.  Something really needed to change.
 

It was the following month in January of 2007 that I stepped foot into my local Weight Watchers center in order to gain the tools I needed to take control of my life.  It hasn’t always been easy.  But, if I had not made the decision, I might not be where I am today.  Life is funny in that it is often unpredictable and while we don’t know the outcome, the journey getting there is where we learn the most about ourselves.  The same is true for weight loss.  When we travel the journey towards better health and change our life, we learn so much about ourselves in the process.
Weight loss can often feel like you are taking two steps forward to only be kicked back four steps.  We aren’t always rewarded for our hard work but the feeling of success is so grand.  Many tears were shed along the journey and while I thought my journey was “over” several years ago, I’ve continued to be tested along the way.
It is hard but it is always worth it.

No comments: