12/16/17

Snow Day



We got our first snow of the season in southern Idaho and of course, motorists were not prepared.  When you work in emergency services, snow day has a whole different meaning.
I am glad it at least arrived on a weekend vs. a weekday morning commute.  But, none of us are happy to see snow.  I’ve been a police dispatcher for almost 12 years.  And, over those years, the excitement of snow has been ruined by this job.  I hate to say it like that, but unless it is a day off and I’ve nowhere to be, I’m not a fan of snow.  Plus, I am just not a cold-weather person in general.  But, snow + workday = lots of headache.
I am always fathomed on how all of us can arrive to work just fine and yet the rest of the motoring public can’t seem to.  Often times, speed is the biggest faster.  People just drive too fast for the conditions which cause a hazard to themselves and other innocent bystanders.  Needless to say, you emergency services personnel will be there to bail you out when you do something stupid.

The only positive to the snow coming now is that it at least held off a few weeks form last year and as of yet, isn’t as major/deep as it was last year.  And, I even see the sun peeking out.  That is the best positive of all!
If you travel during the winter months, be safe.


No comments: