5/16/19

Half-Marathon Memories

It was eight years ago when I walked my second, and last, half-marathon.  Thanks to Facebook Memories, I was able to relive that happy time.

On one hand, it was a great race because we (Kenyon and I) walked it almost 30 minutes faster than our first half.  On the other hand, it was a tough race because it felt much harder.  Our first half race course had two huge hills and was in the month of November.  Our second half race was on a flat course but was in the month of May.  I can’t really remember per se but I suspect I trained more for the first race vs. the second race.  Whatever the reason, I knew from then on out, this would be my last half-marathon.

It was exhausting.

When you walk a half-marathon, unless you are a super fast walker, it takes a long time.  Our first one took us 4 hours.  When you walk without rest for 4 hours straight, nutrition (before and after) becomes really important.

It takes a lot of training, which takes a lot of time.  

It was very hard on the body.  Oh my achey knees.

I do not love walking 13.1 miles.  I still don’t understand “runners high” and I’m sure I’ve never experienced it.


Even though I’ll never do another half-marathon again, I am happy to be a part of that club.  While I used to love 10K races as well, I think I’m more of a 5K gal.  Since I tend to work Saturdays, I don’t do race anymore.  There is nothing better than the energy on race day and the metal at the finish line.

No comments: