5/18/19

What You Say And How What You Say Comes Across To Others


Good Morning.

I’m a weeeee bit tired after my evening out seeing comedian Tom Green.  We had a blast.  He is super funny and entertained us so much.  I even got a high five as he walked off the stage.

 



I have my tickets for comedian Pauly Shore all set for October.  I missed him last year after he had to reschedule so I’m so glad he coming back to Boise.

In terms of weight loss, food, lifestyle changes, etc., I’ve been thinking a lot about what you say and how what you say comes across to others.  This has been on my mind after the month of April and all the negative thoughts I struggled with.

Embarking on a weight loss journey and losing over 100 pounds is all-consuming most of the time.  It is really easy to talk about it non-stop.  I swear to you, when I was in the thick of my journey my coworkers literally hated hearing about it.  Being so consumed by it meant I either wasn’t aware of how much I was talking about it or I guess I just didn’t care.  I hope it wasn’t because I didn’t care.  Now, and more so after April’s outside influences, I am more aware of how it makes me feel when others talk about weight loss non-stop.  It can be as easy as using words like “should” or “shouldn’t” or maybe even “I’m on a diet, I can’t have that.”  Oh that irks me.  I’ve worked so hard to change my thinking from negative to positive that I hate hearing from mentally closed off people. 

That was our meeting topic last week.  It was about shifting your mindset from closed thinking (i.e. “I can’t eat my extra points, I’ll gain weight”) to open thinking (i.e. “Maybe I should try to eat more protein this week” or “Maybe I’ll eat one less dessert one day this week”).  The smallest shift in thinking more positively can result in big changes over time.  That narrow mindset of obsessive weight loss thinking also takes time to shift.  But, it is so important when trying to live your best life.  And really, nobody likes to hear their super high fat/calorie/point food isn’t “good for them” and they “should make a better decision.”  We are all adults, we can all make our own choices.

Most of the time, distorted thinking is a mental hang up with the individual person and not meant towards the outward audience.  We are shaped by our experiences in life both the positive and the negative.  I worked really hard last year to shift my mindset to see the positive aspects of my body and to learn to somewhat love the excess I packed on.  I’m finding more and more as the fog of April lifts, I’m appreciating myself more and loving what I see in the mirror more.

No comments: