6/22/19

Coffee Snob



I am a pretty big coffee snob and also pretty particular about my espresso.  I have a few coffee shops in the area I enjoy frequenting, the most is my beloved Starbucks.

When I started drinking coffee, I drank the fancy ones.  You know the kind that has way more milk than coffee and are full of sugary mix-ins and flavorings.  After I started my WW Journey, my coffee tastes changed when the fancy drinks because a zillion points.  I gave up the fancy in lieu of a non-fat latte with sugar free flavoring.  Later, when I decided to give up milk so I could reduce my daily sugar consumption even more, I was afraid I’d have to give up coffee from the coffee shop all together.  Then, a coworker introduced me to the Americano.

An Americano is espresso and hot water, which has no points.  I drink mine with a little cream and when I’m feeling really wild some sugar free flavoring.  I like to mix it up from time to time by adding in one or two pumps of Chai or during the fall season my beloved Pumpkin Spice sauce.  I also love egg nog during the winter months in place of cream.  Pretty soon, I’ve found my coffee tastes evolving even more because I’m super picky and I hate when my Iced Americano gets too “watery”.  I prefer my espresso brewed over ice and then add more ice and maybe a little water.  I enjoy the coffee taste so I really hate when it is watered down too much.

Thus, I’ve started ordering an Iced Espresso, which is four shots brewed over ice.  This way I can add my own amount of water and not risk it getting too watered down.  The only problem with this order is some of the Starbucks baristas think that the bigger cup with no added water means you need to add all. the. cream.  Nooooooo…….

 


So, this could be part of why losing weight feels like a struggle right now.  I did say “part of” because we all know alcohol has a part in there too!  But, this excess cream is 1) not necessary, 2) costing me way too many points, and 3) taking away from that delicious coffee taste I was getting with the espresso brewed over ice.

I know, I’m high maintenance.

I love the Starbucks mobile ordering system because my drink is ready to go when I arrive.  And, with my new Iced Espresso drink, it doesn’t really matter if it my drink sits out longer for me to arrive because I’ve not added any extra water to it yet, thus, it isn’t watered down.  This cream thing though, it throws a kink in things.

I think I’m going to have to start ordering it with no cream and then going inside the store to add my own each time I visit.  The lazy part of me that loves being able to pick up my coffee at the drive-thru wishes this wasn’t the case.  But, for the sake of my waistline, I think I need to.

Starbucks, I thought you knew me better than this.  Also, there is a fancy label that prints out when I place a mobile order.  Read It!



No comments: