10/22/13

A Trip Down Memory Lane


Saturday was Moving Day for my grandparents who moved into a retirement community in town.  As I was driving the 43 miles on way from my house to their old house in Murphy it was like taking a trip down memory lane.

For as long as I have been alive my grandparents have been tied to Owyhee County and have lived out in the middle of nowhere.  My Dad and his siblings were raised in Murphy.  When we were little my grandparents lived in a two story house with stairs we slid down on sleeping bags, a fire place we playing McDonald's drive-thru at, and a Jacuzzi tub we fought over who would be getting into. 

Then they moved into Murphy buying two houses side by side.  One was their house and one was their office.  Until they retired my grandparents owned Ihli Title and Escrow.  It was fun to visit and play in the office area.  We also rode four wheelers around town and entertained ourselves as teens by exploring Owyhee County.  I loved going out for Outpost Days and catching a horney toad so we could race them in the annual horney toad race.


Every Christmas Eve we would load up and head to Murphy for our family gift exchange where we would receive our Christmas pajamas from Mom and Dad.  We would change into them and wear them on the ride home.  Ah, to be a kid at Christmas again.

My Dad rolled into Murphy on Saturday with The biggest U-Haul truck I have ever seen in my life.  I doubted we could actually fill it up.  I guess you just never know how much stuff you really collect over the years.

We also had the cutest moving crew helping us out!




As the last of the big items were loaded and my Mom and I headed into town I told her how weird it was for Grandma and Grandpa to no longer have a 495 phone number.  They have always had the same phone number that I don’t have to look ot up when calling.

This move will be a good one for them and it actually makes it much easier to visit.  This will be my grandparent’s final move as both are in their 80s.  They are living in a community where they have already made friends from their prior travels and will surely enjoy this new stage of their lives.

No comments: